FFL web site scams
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > FFL web site scams

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default FFL web site scams

I've experienced a problem with a number of web sites that advertise that they will provide a complete "kit" to obtain an FFL. Some of these sites charge a fee in fact provide nothing more than a list of other web sites that you can attempt to contact to obtain the latest forms. One site was "FFLkit" that was a complete disappointment. There was no recourse for a refund from this site.

Is there any recommendations for some good sites to look at for the correct forms and some solid information?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-22-2009, 08:26 AM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

BATFE should have all the info you need. The question is why you want an FFL. If you want an FFL to buy guns for yourself, this will not work. You must be looking to setup a legitimate business to buy and sell guns. You'll need a physical place of business, correctly zoned, as it will be inspected by the feds.

Go to BATFE's website and read everything...

Old 08-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #3

Ditto above. And if you just want an FFL to buy old guns (Curios and Relics with an 03 FFL) the process is, as they say, "so easy a caveman can do it."
Tom

Old 08-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #4

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

NEVER use any site that says it has FFL Kits. If they sell you anything it will be the forms you can get for FREE from the BATF.

there is no magic formula for obtaining an FFL.

1. go to ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

2. click on FORMS on the left hand side of the page.

3. Click on Distribution Center Order Form in the big blue box.

4. pick out your form

5. fill out information.

6. submit and wait for them to get there. Takes anywhere from 30 to 60 days.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
BATFE should have all the info you need. The question is why you want an FFL. If you want an FFL to buy guns for yourself, this will not work. You must be looking to setup a legitimate business to buy and sell guns. You'll need a physical place of business, correctly zoned, as it will be inspected by the feds.

Go to BATFE's website and read everything...
Thanks for the info, all I want is the FFL for "Collector of Curios and Relics". I tried the offical BATF gov site but they have discontinued making the forms available on line to print out. I went to that site "FFLKit" to obtain the forms but it turned out to be a bust. They povide no forms what so ever. Only links to other sites that don't work either. $49.00 down the tube.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
NEVER use any site that says it has FFL Kits. If they sell you anything it will be the forms you can get for FREE from the BATF.

there is no magic formula for obtaining an FFL.

1. go to ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

2. click on FORMS on the left hand side of the page.

3. Click on Distribution Center Order Form in the big blue box.

4. pick out your form

5. fill out information.

6. submit and wait for them to get there. Takes anywhere from 30 to 60 days.
Thanks for the info, all I want is the FFL for "Collector of Curios and Relics". I tried the offical BATF gov site but they have discontinued making the forms available on line to print out. I went to that site "FFLKit" to obtain the forms but it turned out to be a bust. They povide no forms what so ever. Only links to other sites that don't work either. $49.00 down the tube.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico0406 View Post
You have to order them. Not a big deal. it takes a few weeks to get them. Are you trying to get this faster? Then find a local ATF office and they have them right there. You drive down tell the nice lady at the front desk you need the paperwork to get a C&R FFL and I am sure she will hand it to you or call someone that will being it to you.

Take it home and fill it out and send it in with payment and bang your done.

I am not sure why you would be looking into other web sites to get this paper work? I have my C&R paper work sitting at my desk waiting on my lazy butt to fill it out and send it back.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #8

Ok First: If they didn't provide you with the list of items you are do a refund. Call them and tell them you want your money back. If the refuse then you inform them that what they are doing is mail fraud and you will sue if you have to.

$50 is something to fight for.

I might suggest that you look over the entire site before you do something like this. because at the bottom in small print is a disclaimer.

untitled3.jpg

Old 08-23-2009, 11:21 PM   #9

Default Doing the paperwork is easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico0406 View Post
I just got my second FFL 01 last fall and my first in 1996 I turned back in in 2002 when I moved. Like the rest of the guys are telling you go to the BATF web site and you can get everything you need to apply for your license. If you have a problem search for your area office and call them for help. I am not sure of the C&R but the regular license you need to get zoning approval to run a business from your home. If you are just doing collecting for yourself that might not be an issue.

Mine took about three months from start to finish and I also had to get a State of Indiana license to sell handguns and a business license and certificate to collect sales tax. Again you might not need that with the C&R but the BATF people will help you with everything you need.

I was warned about those kits the first time and found the entire process to be very easy if you follow instructions. Good luck.

Vendor www.richards-guns.com

Old 08-24-2009, 12:55 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9507 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

For an 03 C&R FFL, you do not need zoning or a business license- it is not a license to engage in the business, but to aid your personal collection.

As far as the fraud, if you paid with a credit card, contact your card company, and challenge the charge.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.