FFL type license for personal purchases will it ever happen?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > FFL type license for personal purchases will it ever happen?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

So I am thinking of opening a transfer business as a side thing from my home like my regular FFL guy. I was reading the applications and it asks if you plan to make a profit, if you do not, don't send in the application. Then it asks if the license is solely for the purpose of buying guns for yourself, also don't send it in.

I mean what if I wanted to be altruistic and give my services away? Why would this be a bad thing?

And why can't I have a license if I just wanted to buy my own stuff online? I would have to go through the same checks, and have records. Anyway, I just thought It would be a nice idea if we had a special license to have guns delivered to our homes. From what I understand the whole guns being mailed to private citizens ended when lee Harvey killed Kennedy with a gun he bought from a catalog and had delivered to his home, and we all know had it not been for that mailed gun Oswald would never have gotten a gun any other way.

Last edited by TheNYResistance; 10-10-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5668 Times on 2960 Posts
Likes Given: 375

You cant do that because big daddy federal government has infringed your right to keep and bear arms.

You have to be in the active business of buying selling guns with a business name zoned for commerce etc. Nothing saying you have to be good at it. But you need to be recording sales to people other than family and friends.

Just the way it is.

The only personal ffl is the one that allows you to buy curios and relics for personal use and collection.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Shouldn't be such a thing as an FFL.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
Shouldn't be such a thing as an FFL.
I agree, but since there is such a system, at least make something that would allow to make buying for yourself easier.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8854 Times on 3834 Posts
Likes Given: 1382

In order to have a Dealers FFL, you must intend to "engage in the BUSINESS of buying and selling firearms". Would it make sense to be able to have a personal FFL? Oh hell yes! But that is contrary to the ATF regs.

Closest thing right now is the 03 Curio & Relic Collectors FFL. It covers any firearm that is 50 years old or older, OR is on the list published by the BATFE (all Colt Woodsman pistols, ALL Winchester 88 rifles, etc) It permits you to buy interstate, have shipped directly to you- and permits you to sell- usually to improve your collection. Minimal paperwork, $30 for 3 years.

Have had one since 1976, and it DOES come in really handy. You stay broke, but happy.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #6

Liked 1453 Times on 881 Posts
Likes Given: 337

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
In order to have a Dealers FFL, you must intend to "engage in the BUSINESS of buying and selling firearms". Would it make sense to be able to have a personal FFL? Oh hell yes! But that is contrary to the ATF regs.

Closest thing right now is the 03 Curio & Relic Collectors FFL. It covers any firearm that is 50 years old or older, OR is on the list published by the BATFE (all Colt Woodsman pistols, ALL Winchester 88 rifles, etc) It permits you to buy interstate, have shipped directly to you- and permits you to sell- usually to improve your collection. Minimal paperwork, $30 for 3 years.

Have had one since 1976, and it DOES come in really handy. You stay broke, but happy.
The C&R is as close as the OP is likely to get to his answer. I also got one a few years ago. After the initial "surge" of buying on GB, I finally slowed down to about one a month.

I can tell you though, it is like Christimas every time the UPS truck rolls up the driveway.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-11-2012, 02:12 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8854 Times on 3834 Posts
Likes Given: 1382

The first time you do not have to pay a dealer to transfer a gun, you just paid for the license. Places like Numrich and Brownells will also give you a discount.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:22 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
The first time you do not have to pay a dealer to transfer a gun, you just paid for the license. Places like Numrich and Brownells will also give you a discount.
I knew a little about the C&R beforehand, but I didn't know it was that easy. Did the ATF have a collective fever of some kind to let that happen? So just a simple bit of paper work, no deep background check, no background of business partnered and no interview? The interview is the scariest pat for me, I don't like g men in dark suits asking me questions.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:36 AM   #9

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNYResistance View Post
I knew a little about the C&R beforehand, but I didn't know it was that easy. Did the ATF have a collective fever of some kind to let that happen? So just a simple bit of paper work, no deep background check, no background of business partnered and no interview? The interview is the scariest pat for me, I don't like g men in dark suits asking me questions.
If you make it to the interview you're good. It's more of a info session going over the paperwork and regs more than a grill you kind of session. Also as a dealer if the FFL is listed in your company's name you still have to fill out a 4473. There's a lot of red tape and dumb rules as you would imagine.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113

If you make it to the interview you're good. It's more of a info session going over the paperwork and regs more than a grill you kind of session. Also as a dealer if the FFL is listed in your company's name you still have to fill out a 4473. There's a lot of red tape and dumb rules as you would imagine.
So it would be best to do it as an individual I guess. I never mix my business with new ventures to secure against liability, but good to know.