Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > FFL Signature Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default FFL Signature Question

I've very recently received my FFL - the first thing I did was sign and date it. After doing a little online research, and reading up on the whole 'FFL' subject - I read that I am NOT to sign the original, but instead - make copies and sign those as needed. Does anyone know if this is correct, and if so - any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dennis

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #2

I've contacted the ATF, and ask about having a replacement sent... that should take care of the situation.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #3

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Most FFL licenses are emailed/faxed nowadays.

I email mine all the time.

Who'd know?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #4

Not going to hurt you. Our displayed copy in the store is a signed color copy of ours, the original is in the bank box.

The copy i send everywhere is a scan of the one from shop.

NRA Instructor and FFL in Central Ohio.
Owner of GunEnvy. Home of the $20 transfer and many other deals. See our Facebook page for more.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:00 AM   #5

I'm kinda like you - I don't see why it shouldn't be signed.....

While searchig for online info on this subject I found this forum.... I read a post from the past where someone mentioned not signing the original, and that's what got me wondering about this... I checked some of the copies I have from the FFL I used to use, and noticed he sends out a signed copy of his original. What I'm doing now is waiting on a reply from the ATF.... come Monday I think I'll call the ATF Agent who's been working with me, and ask her.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:01 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8310 Times on 3592 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

The copy you provide with a transfer was to be signed. Not a copy of a signature, but an "in ink" signature. Now that electronic transmission is permiitted (fax, email) it is not as important as it once was. Some folks insisted on BLUE ink to show it was not a Xeroxed signature. As far as I am concerned, so long as I can verify that it is a valid license, and I am shipping to a valid address ON that license, I would not care if he signed using his big toe print.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:16 AM   #7

Makes sense to me C3...I'll sure share whatever I'm told by the ATF Agent when I find out.

I've only had the FFL for a couple of weeks, so needless to say my head is swimming with all the information I've been reading. Any tips or tricks or suggestions you guys might have would sure be appreciated. How would I go about locating info pertaining to FFL wholesalers, auctions, or other sources that cater to FFL's? I'm reasonably sure that info is included in the mountain of papers and books I've received - I've just not come across it yet.

NOTE: I've had one transaction so far, and it involved a high capacity weapon, California, and a military base...........lesson learned: UPS will not deliver to a military base.

Last edited by ayastigi; 05-09-2010 at 04:20 AM.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did the same thing when I got my first one. I couldn't understand not signing it either. But the not displaying it thing is simply a theft issue. From what I understand, stolen / forged FFLs were not extremely uncommon in the past. Of course that also might have been an inspector blowing smoke. But just the same, my original is securely tucked away.

I used to sign all of my copies in blue before sending them out. I would also write "file copy only" on it in red sharpie (yes I was one of those). May seem kind of silly now, but I didn't want to take any chances. I have also received a few that were copied on to colored or paper with a pattern on it.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #9

On the 03 I believe it explicitly says to not sign the original, only the copies.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #10

I went ahead and requested a couple of copies of the original, so now I have three total copies... one signed copy, one on the wall that I used to make copies of, and one in a safe....thanks for the replies - I appreciate everyone's willingness to help.