FFL shipping carriers
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > FFL shipping carriers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
KAG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default FFL shipping carriers

Who are you other FFLs using to ship and do you have any shipping advice?

Thanks,

Kyle

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2011, 01:26 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9203 Times on 3971 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

Depending on who you talk to, they will have had great service/ horrible service fro USPS, FedEx, and UPS. Each of the 3 will have their fans and detractors.

I have had good results/ poor results myself from all 3. Afraid it will break down to prices and legalities (as an 03 FFL, I cannot use USPS for handguns)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:54 AM   #3
KAG

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I've read through the rules for shipping with UPS and FedEx and would just like to know what should I expect in terms of charges and fees and what not for shipping non-complete firearms like receivers and frames.

Thanks!

Kyle

Old 08-11-2011, 03:47 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9203 Times on 3971 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

KAG- if you are not an 01 FFL (Dealer) or a Manufacturer, you cannot use the US Mail to ship a HANDGUN- but you CAN ship a rifle or shotgun (or reciever of rifle or shotgun) by mail. The flat rate Priority mail boxes can be a great value if stuff fits.

UPS and FedEx require Next Day Air for handguns, and adult sig required. About $65-$80. Cheaper to find an 01 you can pay to mail it for you.

Of course, under Federal law, the receiver IS the firearm- whether complete or not. Anything else is parts, and can be shipped any way you like.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:51 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAG View Post
I've read through the rules for shipping with UPS and FedEx and would just like to know what should I expect in terms of charges and fees and what not for shipping non-complete firearms like receivers and frames.

Thanks!

Kyle
If you are an 01 or 07 FFL you can ship by either common carrier or USPS. If shipping a handgun by USPS you must Declare the firearm on PS form 1508.
It is highly recommended that you use only Priority Mail if shipping USPS.

If shipping by common carrier, UPS or FedEx, long guns can ship by any method. Ground or 3 Day Select is most common.

Hand guns cannot be shipped by ground transport. You must use 2-day air or next day air.

Contrary to what some are told, hand guns do not have to ship by next day air either by UPS or FedEx.

Your rates for UPS or FedEx will vary some. A parental signature will add $2.50 to the cost of shipping. Rates are usually higher for commercial inside deliveries. There is a different surcharge for residential deliveries. It is recommended that you ship all firearms insured. $0.50/100.00.

Rates are based on package tare weight and zip code.

Rates are discounted depending on your volume. You will pay full rates for over the counter drop off to either at a Hub or a storefront location.

You may also be charged for over night air if you do not have a commercial account with a negotiated discount.

Last edited by sigp250; 08-28-2011 at 07:53 AM.