FFL requirements
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > FFL requirements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 01:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default FFL requirements

Live in Ga. And have been debating on getting my FFL. Can anyone tell me the requirements on getting one as far as cost, insurance, and what is required to keep it. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2011, 02:59 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Hi grady202,

I got my FFL back in '08 in Michigan. The license fee (i believe) was $200, and the insurance on your shop will vary so I can't really helpyou with a cost on that one. I renewed mine back in march of this year. The License renewal was $90. I had an agent from the BATF-E come out and checked out my shop. Opened up my A&D book and confirmed the 4473's along with the entry's in the A&D book for mistakes and such. Made sure I had the proper info in customer's view such as, Child lock poster, employee rights info, etc. Although I know a few guys that have had their FFL's for years and have never had an inspection. So, I can only tell you to go for it. Just be sure to understand what you need to do to keep things on the up-n-up, and you'll be fine. Hope that helped.....
Paul

Old 12-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #3

check out FFL123, its an online Course that will give you tons of insight and guarantee you get your FFLs or you get 150% of your money back.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3274 Times on 1885 Posts
Likes Given: 1397

Best advice is to check with a lawyer who could hep get a LLC established.
Check out the BATF website on getting an FFL.

Putting money out for an FFL course is not needed if you follow the instructions at the BATF website.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/how-to/become-an-ffl.html

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Putting money out for an FFL course is not needed if you follow the instructions at the BATF website.
+1 on this. There is nothing FFL123 will tell you that you won't learn on the ATF web site. There's no trick to getting your FFL. Just make certain that you may legally operate a business at the premises that you decide to use; this means that you must be in compliance with any zoning requirements, or your application is going nowhere fast.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It isn't that difficult.... ttolhurst speaks the truth. I am currently going through having my FFL amended to a new state I recently moved to (delaware). I submitted a letter to the planning and zoning director in my county. Once he (or she) approves my business, an appt. is made with the regional BATF for an inspection of the premises in which you will do biz. Of course, then you must wait the standard (if everythng is approved,,of course) 30-60 days for the Govt. printer to finish printing your FFL. DO NOT try to cut corners, or try to "pull one over" on the BATF. Abide by all the local, and state regulations. I say that as an FFL holder who enjoys what he does. The folks out there not following the rules, are hurting us honest folk. Good Luck!!

Old 12-07-2011, 04:19 AM   #7

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenius View Post
check out FFL123, its an online Course that will give you tons of insight and guarantee you get your FFLs or you get 150% of your money back.
Yeah that's a waste of money it's all the forms you can download from the ATF site and plus with the knowledge in this forum if you hit a snag someone can point you in the right direction.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #8

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Whoops, not the French Foreign Legion.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 12-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeshoreShooter View Post
It isn't that difficult.... ttolhurst speaks the truth. I am currently going through having my FFL amended to a new state I recently moved to (delaware). I submitted a letter to the planning and zoning director in my county. Once he (or she) approves my business, an appt. is made with the regional BATF for an inspection of the premises in which you will do biz. Of course, then you must wait the standard (if everythng is approved,,of course) 30-60 days for the Govt. printer to finish printing your FFL. DO NOT try to cut corners, or try to "pull one over" on the BATF. Abide by all the local, and state regulations. I say that as an FFL holder who enjoys what he does. The folks out there not following the rules, are hurting us honest folk. Good Luck!!
what part of delaware are you moving to. I opened a shop back in febuary in delaware

Old 12-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady202 View Post
Live in Ga. And have been debating on getting my FFL. Can anyone tell me the requirements on getting one as far as cost, insurance, and what is required to keep it. Thanks
Go to the BATF website .. All info you need is there. You do not mention what type of FFL you are wanting to get. There are several and the cost varies.