FFL with PTSD?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > FFL with PTSD?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Default FFL with PTSD?

After doing some research it seems that in order to get an FFL your medical must be released. Although I have been diagnosed with PTSD and currently take meds for it, I'm a little leary about filing for an FFL. I know that when you fill out your 4473 or CCW license application it asks about being put into a mental health hospital, which I haven't been. I don't want to waste hundreds of dollars to get my FFL just to find out the ATF will deny it. Does anyone know an individual with an FFL that has been diagnosed with PTSD?

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #2

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

found a short article in my newest American Rifleman magazine. Its for FFL123.com I think it is a little how to guide for filing for an FFL, it carries a guarantee that you will get a 150% refund on their package if you don't get the FFL, BUT that only applies if you are legally able to get one to begin with. But still, with that kind of guarantee, they may have more information that could help you, like a customer support service that can answer some questions for you.

I think it also includes a packet of all the required paper work for the different permits.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:40 AM   #3

PTSD is not a disqualifier to become an FFL. For the most part, if you are eligible to buy a gun, you are eligible to obtain an FFL. You do not have to release any medical records.

FFL123 is not needed in the least to get your FFL; all the information you need is at atf.gov. The FFL section over on AR15.com is also very useful; those are the only resources I used to get my FFL.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #4

Default Ffl & ptsd

Here in NC, they run a mental health records check when applying for a CCW. If you have PTSD in your record, forget it. BTW, the military is awarding Purple Hearts in some cases of PTSD. I suspect that they (the Administration) are using this as an asymmetric way of banning your owning a gun for life. I would be very leery of accepting any award that brands me with PTSD.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #5

Liked 780 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 499

May be something here that you want to look into...

Veteran’s Second Amendment Rights Bill Passes U.S. House, Senate Companion Bill Introduced Friday, October 14, 2011

As we previously reported, on September 9, the U.S. House Veterans Affairs Committee passed an amendment by U.S. Representative Denny Rehberg (R-Mont.) as a part of a larger piece of veterans’ legislation. The “Veterans Second Amendment Protection Act,” which was added to H.R. 2349 as an amendment, will provide individuals receiving veterans' benefits with added protection against loss of the right to possess firearms due to mental health decisions.

NRA-ILA :: Veteran

Thank you for your service and good luck.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-23-2011, 04:45 AM   #6

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Thanks for all the help, I seen that article on the new law they are trying to pass to. I think I'm going to wait and see what becomes of that bill before doing anything thanks again y'all.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.