FFL liscence
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > FFL liscence

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default FFL liscence

How do you get an FFL and what are the requirements?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyHussein007 View Post
Depends on the license class. General instructions and forms are on the BATFE website. Generally you must submit the application, fingerprints, photos and fees. BATFE will follow up with an in-person interview. You will also need to apply to and comply with all local zoning and legal requirements (security systems, insurance, etc). Your local law enforcement may also require certain submissions and business purpose justifications.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #3

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

A pre requisite is the proper spelling of LICENSE

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

RufusTFirefly Likes This 
Old 06-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8739 Times on 3778 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

FFL is a Federal Firearms License. It is issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE or BATF or ATF). There are numerous DIFFERENT licenses. Most are an 01 Dealer's license (to be engaged in the business of buying and selling guns) and for individuals- the 03 FFL- (Collector's license)- allows you to purchase certain firearms -usually 50 yr old guns and have them shipped directly to you.

You must be 21, intend to engage in the activity covered by the license, able to pass a background check, able to pay the license fee, and activity must comply with State and local law and regulations.

Other licenses are to pawn guns, make guns, make machine guns, import guns, make ammunition, etc etc. License fee varies with type of license. Least expensive is 03 Collector- $30/ 3 yrs.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #5

I have a quick one here...For an FFL also the dealer's license , what procedure do I have to follow if I'm in the united states on a student visa? Here's hoping for a response and the solution to my query... Cheers.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 211 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalk
I have a quick one here...For an FFL also the dealer's license , what procedure do I have to follow if I'm in the united states on a student visa? Here's hoping for a response and the solution to my query... Cheers.
If you are a student here which means you aren't an US permanent resident. By which means you aren't even allowed to own a firearm yet. Sorry if i'm wrong.
I'm not an US citizen yet but i'm a permanent resident (Green Card holder). And i'm allowed as the citizens do in regards of firearms.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:06 AM   #7

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyHussein007 View Post
I really wish that someone who has actually completed the FFL process would post in a little more detail on this.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:10 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

The process will depend on WHICH FFL you are applying for. Which one do you have in mind? I have held an 03 FFL since 1976, and we have several folks here with Dealer and Manufacturer licenses.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2803 Times on 1620 Posts
Likes Given: 1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilliamson View Post
I really wish that someone who has actually completed the FFL process would post in a little more detail on this.
After going through the hoops of
Business License
Zoning
LLC process
Tax ID number
FFL interview
Security
Advertisement
Accounting
Purchasing
Setup
Assistant interviews (you can't run it by yourself at times)
Consulting with the spouse (What do you mean that my new assistant is too cute?)
Rent
Insurance
Utilities

Maybe you end up with a profit of $.51.
(But hey, it's profit so the IRS cannot call it a hobby)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

bwilliamson Likes This 
Old 08-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

And while it is an older post- Kalk- as a non-resident alien, you are limited in purchasing firearms (it CAN be done, with limitations) HOWEVER- you cannot get a FFL. You must be a Permanent Resident (emigrant w/ green card) or a US citizen.