FFL license kits?? For quicker processing??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > FFL license kits?? For quicker processing??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default FFL license kits?? For quicker processing??

I have googled and searched and have saw a few ffl kits. Can anyone reccomend a good kit to get this process going the fastest way possible. I know its a slow process , but I want it smooth and as quick is possible. Cost is not a problem I just want smooth and quick. I own an archery shop and want to move it to firearms

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #2

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene1975 View Post
I have googled and searched and have saw a few ffl kits. Can anyone reccomend a good kit to get this process going the fastest way possible. I know its a slow process , but I want it smooth and as quick is possible. Cost is not a problem I just want smooth and quick. I own an archery shop and want to move it to firearms
Don't waste your money. Just call the BATFE and order the forms - fill them out and send 'em in with your check. You'll get the same paperwork from them as the kit contains, but it's free.

Last edited by Highpower; 10-16-2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Don't waste your money. Just call the BATFE and order the forms - fill them out and send 'em in with your check. You'll get the same paperwork from them as the kit contains, but it's free.

+1

I am a 07/02 and I didnt see a need for a kit. Make sure you use the interveiw to ask questions , keep good log books.

2011 FUN GUN SHOOT
SOUTH DAKOTA'S LARGEST MACHINE GUN SHOOT
www.fungunshoot.com

Old 10-20-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9507 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

What they said. The real issue will be that the BATFE requires you be in compliance with STATE and LOCAL laws before they will issue a license. If you already have a storefront business, you probably already meet those requirements- like zoning, having a business license, sales tax number, yadyada etc. Without those, or documentation that you do NOT need them, no tickee.

DO learn the regulations. DO keep good books. Both Auction Arms and Gun Broker have a "find a FFL" feature that you can register for- folks that are looking for a dealer to recieve and do transfers for firearms they bought from elsewhere. Possible source of income for you.

The Golden Rule for a FFL- if a transaction does not feel right- don't. There is nothing that requires you to sell a gun or ammo to ANYONE you do not want to.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #5

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Quoted for the truth.

The kits give you the forms and nothing more.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:21 AM   #6

The kit I bought came with some software and instructions. However if you just follow the instructions for the application from the BAFTE you'll be fine. Also remember that you can call the inspectors and the licensing center for questions. It took me from 8-7-2010 through 10-6-10. Thats from mailing it to the ATF and them mailing my license. So thats about as quick as it gets I reckon.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:32 PM   #7

The normal return time is 8 weeks. so you were right on schedule, congrats. Zoning, EPA, locality all play a roll depending on license type. NIMBY juristrictions, relationship to a school, etc....and back to OP, the kits are crap. Everything you need to know is on the ATF site.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:15 PM   #8

I did not get the kit and had no problems. Everything you need is sent by the BATFE, and the forms arent any more problematic than DMV registration forms.

Like was said before me, get your zoning figured out. I had to pay the town to 'assess' and approve my 'plans', which changed nothing, but they still needed to do an environmental assessment clearing my plans. Cost like $80, but that's just my town. I used Legalzoom to get my DBA set up, and my Federal Employer ID number and all that. It was simple, and I couldnt find anyplace that could tell me the process myself, so having them do it was worth the money.

Just make sure all the fingerprint cards are completely filled out, and triple check your application to make sure nothing is missing.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:45 PM   #9

Why dont you start with an C&R FFL Distribution Center Order Form here is the ATF link for the forms. I have my C&R FFL and its not hard to get. Its a good place to start. any questions about how to get it let me know if i can help.

John 11:22 / NRA MEMBER
U.S. Army 78-82
Active Maryland Defense Force (MDDF) (Maryland Guard) 2010-Present E-5 SGT
C&R License Holder and MD Firearms Collectors Letter

Old 10-25-2010, 02:38 PM   #10

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene1975 View Post
I own an archery shop and want to move it to firearms
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfdallas View Post
Why dont you start with an C&R FFL...
An (03)FFL does not authorize "dealing" in firearms.