FFL how to - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > FFL how to

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 01:20 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdan
What additional steps would be required for NFA license?
When I Had my meeting, the ATF Agent asked me If I would be manufacturing or selling Class III items and showed me the SOT application form which was just a
Formality to being accepted ( assuming local and state laws allow you to deal I'n said items)

Send that form In with your $500 check to the ATF and you are all set. If you choose not to fill it out right away, no worries, you can apply at any time. I waited a while as my FFL went live In September, and I didn't expect Class III stuff from
Day 1.

Another thing to remember is the SOT is valid July 1-June 30 regardless of your FFL expire date and you pay the FULL $500 per year, regardless of when you apply and it will still expire June 30th.

ATF mails out renewal letters in early May. After that time, all applications typically are considered for the following year. Most people I talk to say if you are applying for the first time, send your application in the second last week of May and you should have your SOT by mid June, effective July 1st.

Happy FFL'ing!

Old 07-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #12

Well I checked my Credit Card account online that I used for my 07 application and it looks like the ATF made a charge to it for the fee. Is this a good sign, or do they do that for all the apps while they are in process?

Thanks!

Chris

Old 07-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #13

First thing they do is collect he money Least you know they are on the case

KB Firearms 607-437-2835 keithb078@yahoo.com

Old 07-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #14

Does anyone know how dificult it is to get an FFL for a home business? I work (in the military) and my wife is a stay at home mom so we were thinking of starting out by doing local FFL transfers then moving into actual selling.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLPalmlund View Post
Does anyone know how dificult it is to get an FFL for a home business? I work (in the military) and my wife is a stay at home mom so we were thinking of starting out by doing local FFL transfers then moving into actual selling.
you need a letter from your town stating you can run a firearms business from your premises.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #16

Thank you. I'm hoping I can get that info from the local sheriffs office.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLPalmlund View Post
Thank you. I'm hoping I can get that info from the local sheriffs office.
the letter or business license you will most likely get from the town or city clerk.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #18

need a sticky for this

Old 08-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #19

One correction from my own experience:

I called my city's zoning department, and they said I do not need to get a letter from them. They said that for past FFL requests, the ATF called the city zoning department themselves, and confirmed for themselves that the city allows an FFL at the requested location. Be sure to call yours to confirm, though.

Thank you for this helpful guide!

Old 08-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian0918 View Post
One correction from my own experience:

I called my city's zoning department, and they said I do not need to get a letter from them. They said that for past FFL requests, the ATF called the city zoning department themselves, and confirmed for themselves that the city allows an FFL at the requested location. Be sure to call yours to confirm, though.

Thank you for this helpful guide!
That may be true and probably is but I always like to have stuff like that in writing. I wouldn't take the word of your zoning dept. I would go ahead and still get a letter. They just emailed me mine. Probably took them 4 minutes at the most.