Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > FFL holder moved to another state, anybody??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 01:40 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default FFL holder moved to another state, anybody??

Hey all,

I joined this forum a while back and this is my first post. I have a question for FFL holders. Here's my situation. I am from Michigan. I hurt myself back in 2000, and continued to work with a screwed up back. Went on SS Disability, and decided to get my FFL. I had an old barn on my property and redecorated it to be my Gun shop. I am also a Mr. Mom to my 3 young boys. My Wife is a Hospital manager. About 7 months ago she started looking for another job. Which brings me to my point.We are now in Delaware. I filled out the "Application for an Amended FFL" when we got out here around Oct. 28th or 29th.

My main question is, has anyone on here done this (transfer your FFL to another state), and maybe give me a rundown on what to expect as a "back in business" timeline. I called my BATF-E agent back in Michigan to see if he could help me with the process. But no luck. Gave me the number for the license div. in W. VA., but have yet to talk to a human. I have left 3 voicemails. No reply. Suppose they're busy. So, I'm hoping someone on here can help.

Also, what am I supposed to do if I want to buy a gun now. I have my FFL from Michigan, but obviously can't have guns sent to that address any longer. I do a lot of biz with Jerry's Sport Center. They have a shop in Pittston, PA. that I could go to. They have "pick up" so I was wondering if it would be legal(?) to order the gun, and then drive up there the next day and just pick it up? Any help on that? I mean, can I walk into a local Gun shop and give the owner a copy of my MI. FFL and be done with it? I want to buy myself a shotgun for home defense, and my 10y/o wants a 10/22 for christmas. I know the Govt. will not have me processed by X-mas.
Thanks for your time!!
Paul

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

To the issue of wait time for the transfer your FFL to Delaware, I'd just be persistant. Maybe talk to someone at the local ATF field office to where you are at now. I have had great luck talking to my field office with regard to getting questions answered and I have always been treated courteously in the process. I've also talked to people in W. VA. without too much effort. It's been a while and I hope things didn't change down there.

Yes, you can take your FFL anywhere in the country and do a face to face transaction. That is one big perk of having the license. You are allowed to conduct business in person pretty much anywhere, regardless if it's for you or customers.

One of my favorite states, Delaware is. Used to spend a lot of time there. Hope to again.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default The FFL.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjnfirearms View Post
To the issue of wait time for the transfer your FFL to Delaware, I'd just be persistant. Maybe talk to someone at the local ATF field office to where you are at now. I have had great luck talking to my field office with regard to getting questions answered and I have always been treated courteously in the process. I've also talked to people in W. VA. without too much effort. It's been a while and I hope things didn't change down there.

Yes, you can take your FFL anywhere in the country and do a face to face transaction. That is one big perk of having the license. You are allowed to conduct business in person pretty much anywhere, regardless if it's for you or customers.

One of my favorite states, Delaware is. Used to spend a lot of time there. Hope to again.
Thanks for the reply. I wanted to set up shop at a lot that was for rent in the area. Nope, the other stores didn't want a gun shop there. My only other possibility was to have the house we are renting be my biz for a while until I can find a vacant building. My wife wanted to rent a house in a housing community. A lot more upscale than I am used to. So I dreaded asking a "landlord" if he minded my FFL on residence. I assured him that I would only do internet (gunbroker, etc.) sales and no storefront. He gave me permission and said "no problem."
Well, you can probably guess where this is going. After filing my application with the BATF, I had the visit by the investigator of the premises. All was well, until I asked the landlord for his permission in writing. He now denied me the business, and I lost the license. So, I am trying to find a place for business. But this area is saturated with 3 stores, and 2 residence FFL's. Oh well, we'll see. Thanks for the support though! Mucho appreciado!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"A man has got to know his limitations....." - Clint

NRA Life Member