Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > FFL Distributors for Home Based

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Grabagun does wholesale?

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #12
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
Grabagun does wholesale?
With the numbers of sales increasing, there is a way for everything.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 01-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1348 Times on 916 Posts
Likes Given: 456

What people don't realize is it takes money to start a home FFL. Most distributors won't consider less than a $5,000 order. I had an FFL back in the 80's. But I could buy a case of SKS rifles for what would be considered scrap prices today. I could sell an SKS for $50 and make a profit on it. I didn't even bother with bolt action rifles. A guy that had more capital and a store could sell them a lot cheaper than I could buy them. Every hardware store in town had 55 gallon drums of picked over milsurp rifles. People expected to buy a rifle in excellent shape for the same price as scrap metal. At this time a Winchester model 70 could be purchased at any western auto for around $200. How much could I expect to get for a milsurp rifle?

We have the same thing going on today. Only the stakes are higher. If you don't have $50,000 to play with I would not get in the gun business. You either have to charge more than retail for your products or you have to sell a lot of guns to make it worthwhile. Most people who try to operate on a low budget end up selling 2 guns a week through davidsons to make $150. You have to have the guns in stock so people can handle them to sell a lot of guns.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

John Deer is right.

So how do we overcome this?

I'm in the process of getting my FFL. I don't expect to become a millionaire, just to supplement my income and provide a great service for my customers.

The list above is awesome. Definitely sticky worthy.

My question is, if you need to buy a few small items for your customer, how does he home FFL get a local supplier?

For example, if my customer is buying a AR-15, it would be great to have some 223 on hand, maybe a sling, or some reloading supplies.

I'm in the Dallas Fort Worth area, and the nearest wholesaler I can find is 1.5 hours away. That just killed any chance of shipping 1lb of powder because hazmat is over $25.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #15
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

Make the drive yourself.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #16

Likes Given: 2

Love this Post, thanks for the info. I am working on getting my FFL and selling out of the basement for a couple years. If all goes well I will get a store front.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We have been in business for 3 years now. As a home based we started with about $500. We don't keep any inventory simply because we don't have 50k. I think Deere hit it on the head when he said. Selling two guns a week from xyz wholesale for $150 profit. Or doing a transfer for $20 on gun that was sold for $40 less then wholesale. It's all in your attitude that $20 or $75 is money you didn't start the day with. If you need some ammo or other items check out RSR and only order extras when someone else buys something that way someone else is paying the shipping. The biggest thing I have learned is never be afraid to ask. If they have a 5k buy in and you only need 1k ask. Most commission based sales staff will "make it work" to put a coupe more bucks on the paycheck.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:23 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hmm. I reached out to grabagun and they said they do not have any discounts for FFLs. Anybody get a different response?

Old 02-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #19

Default Build some rifles

I have been tossing around the idea of building a few AR15s in my house. No milling or manufacturing. Just buying parts online and putting them together. I live in Ohio if that matters. Do I need any type of licensing? Is there a limit that I can build, or even sell? Any info would be great!

Thanks
SSG S3RBO

Old 02-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 627 Times on 434 Posts
Likes Given: 42

you need an ffl

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.