Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > FFL for "Business from the home" FFL 01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default FFL for "Business from the home" FFL 01

Guys,
I've been considering obtaining my FFL in order to run a small business from my house. I know that I'll need to make sure that the area I live in properly zoned for this type of business, and check w/ local and possibly state authorities. I'd like to sell mostly rifles via online services like Gunbroker and maybe set up a website. It seems as though there is quite a bit of effort and a lot hoops to jump through to do this. I would like to do this, as I really enjoy firearms and refinishing wood furniture on rifles and then selling the finished product. What I'm getting at is, is it really worth it? I'd appreciate your input on this guys.

Thanks!

Last edited by ARnoob; 07-14-2009 at 04:09 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #2

I think it'll be bad for business if you only offer one service, but I guess it depends on the area you live in. Are you going to sell guns aswell? or do gunsmithing?

Old 07-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just plan on refinishing the wood furniture on just some of the rifles and selling them all online. I believe that there would be very little overhead, and I could refinish (no gunsmithing) in the gargage. It would be more of a hobby and income supplement, than anything else.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #4

I guess it could work, but business would be slow for a bit since you only offer one specific service. It also depends on how good a job you do and if you can show the possible customers your product.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:20 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I believe the question is regarding his ability to obtain the lisence for a home operation, rather than the success of his desired business.

I too am looking into something of the sort. I Come across many guns for dirt cheap in fair to poor condition (mostly cosmetic), but with decent mechanics and feel I have the ability to restore them and make a decent firearm for someone and still offer them cheaply. By no means am I a gunsmith.

I have looked at a few of these "Kits" offered, but need to do more research. I would appreciate any info. that anyone can share.

D

Old 09-13-2009, 11:54 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8406 Times on 3642 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Do NOT waste your money on the license kits. If you got to the ATF website, they have the info you need.

YES, you can get an 01 Dealer's FFL with the licensed premises as your home- or a portion of your home- IF you actually intend to "engage in the business". You cannot get an 01 FFL for "hobby" purposes.

You will, as you know, need to jump thru all the hoops to legally operate a business BEFORE they will issue your license. Zoning, business license, sales tax number, etc etc. Your hours of operation can be when you want- but they go on the app.

ALSO- bear in mind you are dealing with TAX people. Keep good records, since income from your 01 will need to be declared on your tax return.

But yes, is do-able, One of the smiths that I deal with operates from his home, and sells a few guns at local shows. And has been doing that for some years.

Now, you did not ask this, and if you already know, please forgive my tendency to lecture. If you are gonna do this for a business- INCORPORATE. Cheap to do. But if you are doing business as an ordinary person- sell me a gun that is defective and hurts me- and when I sue you, I will be going after your house, your car, and your college savings acct for your kid. But if it was sold by a corporation, I can only go after the assets of the corporation.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt