Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   FFL Application & Hunting License (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/ffl-application-hunting-license-12578/)

cerpika 04-05-2009 03:29 AM

FFL Application & Hunting License

Greetings friends,

The FFL application has a section in which it asks if you have a valid hunting license, and mentions that if you do not, you most likely cannot get an FFL license.

Does anyone know why this clause is in the app? or how critical it is to have your license?

I dont have a current license (mine expired years ago), and the state of Washington wants me to go to a hunters safety course to get a new one. This process takes longer than I want to hold off sending my FFL app in.

Will I get denied an FFL without a current hunting license?

Thanks!

c3shooter 04-07-2009 10:15 PM

Huh? You sure you are reading that correctly? BUSINESS license, yes. Hunting license? Have had a Collectors FFL since 1976, but I sure don't recall THAT!

The one spot that I can recall where that IS mentioned has to do with non-resident aliens. Most non-resident aliens (citizen of another country that has not been admitted as a permanent resident of the US) cannot buy a gun- but certain Non res aliens CAN- and having a hunting license is one of the qualifiers for them. If a non res was applying for an 03 C&R FFL, it may come into play- if you are a citizen of the US, it does not apply.

DonnyKC 04-08-2009 09:48 PM

it does mention the hunters licenses ..but dont remember seeing that would get rejected if you dont. i do remember seeing if you arent doing the ffl for profit you would be rejected

c3shooter 04-09-2009 03:45 PM

FWIW, I have a friend that is an 01 FFL (Dealer) and a gunsmith. He does not have a hunting license, nor is he likely to get one- he is confined to a wheelchair.

This one has me stumped- if you can scan that portion of the instructions, could you please post here as an attachment?

hydrashok 04-29-2009 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerpika (Post 91119)
Greetings friends,

The FFL application has a section in which it asks if you have a valid hunting license, and mentions that if you do not, you most likely cannot get an FFL license.

Does anyone know why this clause is in the app? or how critical it is to have your license?

I dont have a current license (mine expired years ago), and the state of Washington wants me to go to a hunters safety course to get a new one. This process takes longer than I want to hold off sending my FFL app in.

Will I get denied an FFL without a current hunting license?

Thanks!

I just got my FFL. That section has something to do with legal aliens applying. (As I recall) that section doesn't apply to U.S. Citizens. I believe I (at the advice of my local field office) left that section blank.... but my wife didn't make a copy of my app!