ffl
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > ffl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 04:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default ffl

Can sell gun from your home in south carolina

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does anyone know if you can

Old 01-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #3

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

Charleston Field Office
Resident Agent in Charge
One Poston Road, Suite 325
Charleston, South Carolina 29407 USA
Voice (843) 763-3683
Fax (828) 271-404

Columbia Field Office
Resident Agent in Charge
Strom Thurmond Fed. Bldg.
1835 Assembly Street, Room 309
Columbia, South Carolina 29201 USA
Voice (803) 251-4600
Fax (803) 251-4601

Florence Satellite Office
401 West Evans Street, Room 208
Florence, South Carolina 29501 USA
Voice (843) 292-0179
Fax (843) 292-9554

Greenville Field Office
Resident Agent in Charge
301 N. Main Street, Suite 1802
Greenville, South Carolina 29601 USA
Voice (864) 282-2937
Fax (864) 282-2958

Old 01-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #4

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

In most states, if you aren't "engaging in the business" you can make a private sale to another resident of your state, face to face.

Be aware, there are age restrictions, per federal law, one must be 21 to buy a handgun from a dealer, but many states allow ownership and private purchase of a handgun at 18.

You need to check your local laws.
And if you do intend to "engage in the business" you need to go through all the right channels.

However, I do believe that selling off a collection carries it's own restrictions/lack of restrictions. Again, check your local laws.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #5

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Or you could just call one of those numbers

Old 01-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm going to get my ffl and I want to know if i can sell from my house or do tranfer for people.I'm go to do some gunsmithing and it would nice to do that too.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes, you can get a home FFL.
You must first obtain al the necessary licenses, variances and approvals from the State, County and City. bATF won't even talk to you until you do. Also register as a business in the state you are in, obtain a EIN from the tax guys and depending on state, you may need an "authority to collect sales tax" certificate of some kind.
You need to send a pro-forma letter to the chief law enforcement officer where you plan to operate the business.
Then you complete all the BATF / FFL paperwork, send in 2 fingerprint cards and a pile of other stuff they ask for along with some money. Then you wait.
Assuming you didn't forget to cross a T or dot an I, and you're not a felon or have some other disqualifying factor, you should get a call from the local field office within 60 days to setup an onsite visit at your place of business. After the 2 hours, they leave and you either get a rejection or your FFL, pick one.
You need to demonstrate that you intend to actually run a potentially profitable business and You're not just ordering guns for yourself and your friends to get them wholesale.
They don't care if you a a gunsmith unless you "manufacture" (and it's a convoluted definition on the books) or are dealing in class3 /nfa stuff like suppressors. Once you have your FFL you can get your class 3 sot pretty much just by filling out the form and sending them more money. They have the right to audit you whenever they please and your "bound book", sales/transfer paperwork all needs to match up with your orders and inventory. Don't ever play games like those idiots on that tv show who can't even assemble an AR. They had their FFL's pulled for playing funny with the paperwork.
You can do transfers but you'll need to do all the same paperwork as you would for a walk in sale including running the nics background check on the buyer. you will not get rich doing transfers unless you transfer a truckload a week.
Keep in mind that Eric Holder is on record as being anti-gun and he runs the BATF. It's been tougher on people lately especially one man operations and small businesses.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by Belltactical; 01-26-2012 at 11:13 PM.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So far you're being told correctly with a couple exceptions.

First, you do not need an EIN (Employer ID Number) from the IRS if you're a sole proprietorship. You only need the EIN if you have employees. If the business is just you, you run it under your Social Security number.

I know of no small FFLs like myself that have issues because of the admin in Washington, more so than the larger ones, and I'm pretty well networked. Other than during the process of approval for the FFL, I have had little direct contact with anyone from BATFE other than the local field office and they have always treated me with respect and courtesy. I was contacted twice since I've been a dealer regarding traces of weapons I either bought or sold (one was for possible issues with a distributor I bought from, one because something I sold was used in a crime and they were tracing the pedigree) and I had no issues with the way they conducted themselves or what they requested. I was treated with respect and provided the info and never heard from them again on each issue. Maybe on the bigger scheme of things, the big dogs are a serious problem in both DOJ and BATFE, but as long as we tow the line on the small end (and that's not difficult to do), they pretty much are leaving us alone.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:07 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Irrespective, I would most certainly get an attorneys advice about whether another entity, either a corp or LLC would be appropriate (which will necessitate the EIN). A sole proprietor setup tied to your SSN leave you and everything you own in this world completely unprotected from liability. You can lose everything without a legal layer of protection between you and your business.

Don't now about one man shops in PA owned by retired LEO's but down south, these days, it's getting tougher on both the kitchen table guys and the mid-sized shops especially if you do builds from scratch and NFA stuff.

Good luck.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Of course, if you're manufacturing, it's a bit tougher. I agree with you BT. The NFA stuff, definately. They have tightened the reins on this. Part of the reason why I didn't bother going type III on the FFL as several have asked me why I didn't.

There are ways to protect yourself other than incorporating. You are also right that you risk personal assets without some protection. Incorporating isn't right or best for everyone. Look into this aspect of your business carefully as I and others did. Don't just jump into it.