Fail Background Check
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Fail Background Check

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Fail Background Check

I applied for my 01 FFL. What do you do with the firearm you receive in a FFL transfer and the customer doesn't pass the background check? Do you ship it back to the sender? And at who's cost? TIA

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLegArms View Post
I applied for my 01 FFL. What do you do with the firearm you receive in a FFL transfer and the customer doesn't pass the background check? Do you ship it back to the sender? And at who's cost? TIA
Personally, I would try to get the money from the transferee that failed the NICS...if that doesn't work try to get the sender FFL to pay the fees since they can collect directly from the current owner. If all else fails pay the freight and refuse to accept any further shipments from all parties until you get your money back.

If the sender is an individual I am not sure what the law requires as the circumstances are reversed and you are now a licensed FFL shipping to an unlicensed person. Not sure if you need to send to an FFL or not...check the regs.

In the future you may want to specify who pays in the event of a failed NICS...or change your policies and only accept FFL to FFL shipments on your terms. JMHO...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 06-27-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

As explained to me by an inspector
As an FFL holder, you have no responsiblity to return the firearm to the sender, the buyer does.
You could be nice and offer to send it back, but the buyer will still have to pay your costs and the additional cost of shipping it back.
Should the buyer refuse to make payment, you have another firearm.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Dumb question from a non-FFL person here: Is there no way to run the "background check" before agreeing to receive the firearm?

Dude comes in & asks about transfer, you offer to run check first to save him some money in the event of refusal. Is that legal/legit/smart?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #5

I found out during my atf interview that in WV you will fail your NICS check if you had a DUI in the last year. I guess they consider that substance addiction.. Never heard of it until my interview....

Old 06-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Dumb question from a non-FFL person here: Is there no way to run the "background check" before agreeing to receive the firearm?

Dude comes in & asks about transfer, you offer to run check first to save him some money in the event of refusal. Is that legal/legit/smart?
In Florida, yes. A background check can be done without purchasing a firearm.

But should the inidividual come in and complete the 4473 on a date after that check, it is recommended that a separate background check be done.

FWIW, almost all my customers know if they will pass or fail a background check beforehand and act accordingly.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 06-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #7

I explain up front, that should i have to return the firearm for any reason, it's $25.00 plus the shipping cost.

KB Firearms 607-437-2835 keithb078@yahoo.com

Old 06-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8837 Times on 3825 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Making some assumptions here- that you are recieving as a transfer agent from one non-licensed person to another, and that recipient flunked his background check.

Couple of options- first, you can sell the gun FOR the recipient in your shop- consignment sale. You can buy the gun from him. Or you can return the gun (at his shipping expense) to the sender. He CAN own a gun- he can't possess one. Fine legal difference.

Somewhere I just heard someone say "But wait- you can't ship it directly back..." Well, 18 US Code 922 addresses the legal requirements for a TRANSFER of ownership. In this case, no transfer took place. While you acquired the gun (and probably logged it into your A&D book) you do not own the gun- it is in the category of "Property of others in your care, custody, and control". You should be able to return it TO THE ORIGINAL OWNER, or ship to another FFL for transfer to someone else. When you ship it out, would be logged in "Dispositions" under "returned to owner"

It is NOT incumbent on you morally to pay for return shipping- that is the guy that bought the gun. The seller should have gotten HIS money before his shipped it. If the failed buyer does not want to man up, or if the seller does not want to accept a return (all sales final thing) give the failed buyer a reasonable time to decide what to do (sell to you, consign to you, sell to someone else, etc) Beyond that time, start charging him storage. BEWARE- "Oh, I sold it to Charlie. Charlie here will complete the paperwork. " You MAY be looking at a strawman sale.

Above is purely my opinion based on conversations with BATFE, and reading the US Code. Your mileage may vary, you should check on your own with the people that issue your license, if it blows up I never heard of you. Dogleg WHO? Never heard of him.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLegArms View Post
A friend of mine had that same problem. The FFL transfer told him he had to clear that misunderstanding with the proper authorities. He had his CCL but went anyway to his local police station. They in turn sent his fingerprints and neccessary forms to the FBI. Eight weeks later his name was cleared. The FFL dealer was kind enough to hold his firearm for him.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

In FL, there is the right to appeal a failed background check.

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC