does my FFL allow me to own A silencer? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > does my FFL allow me to own A silencer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 05:36 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Also seeking suppressor infformation

Just registered on a suggestion from the Oregon Firearms Federation regarding experieces of those who have obtained BATF licensing for suppressors and what sort of intrusions into one's life and home might be expected as a result.

One of my favorite things is exploding prairie dogs in large numbers, multiple kills with one bullet being particularly satisfying. Also coyotes, crows, ground squirrels, feedlot pigeons, whatever targets of opportunity are available. While I have no beef with rattlesnakes, the earplugs I need to wear to protect what's left of my hearing has made it hard to hear those suckers too many times when my attention is elsewhere in a hot 'dog town. Reducing the noise of my varmint rifles to the crack of a supersonic bullet minus the muzzle blast would be a hoot! I could go without the earplugs and, based on .22 rimfire experience, the bullet's crack coming from its path gets varmints looking all around, not at the source, making for more follow-up shots.

I'm looking at a single suppressor from SWR that would be usable on my .204 and .224 caliber rifles. My Oregon Concealed Carry was no problem to obtain but I have never heard anyone say anything kind about the BATFE and its approach to citizen relations. While I may be naive, I see no qualification problems to my getting a Class III license for a suppressor. My concern is what level of intrusion into my private life I might expect AFTER securing the license and the suppressor. It is this sort of experience I am seeking from other as to whether it is worth it to proceed.

I would appreciate hearing from members who have information about and/or experience in this matter.

Regards,

Stephen varmintClark

Old 08-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #12

lets set this straight one more time :

You DO NOT get a class 3 license as an individual to own a supressor or machinegun under the NFA . A class 3 license is an add on to an FFL for $ 500 per year, to SELL NFA items.

As an individual, you are an SOT : Special Occupational Tax Payer
$ 200 stamp on a supressor or machinegun, confidential tax info not available to anyone.

You go to a Class 3 dealer in your state and buy the supressor, the dealer completes the form-4 for transfer and get a signature from your local Sheriff/Police Sheriff certifying there is no local law you would be violating...it is NOT a permission slip.
2 passport photos are attached and 2 FBI finger print cards rolled and submit with the $ 200 transfer tax. The process takes about 90 days to approve the transfer. If you have a Corporation, LLC or trust, you eliminate the LEO signature and cut the transfer time to about 30 days.

An FFL holder can buy a supressor but must pay the $ 200 tax.

Problems with the BATF in this process...NONE !
All NFA transfers are handled via the NFA branch in West Virginia...They are the only experts on NFA Law..individual ATF offices know little about the ins and outs of the NFA.

Visits from BATF if you are an SOT ? None
Rights waived as to search of your residence ? NONE ..an old false rumor !

The ATF knows the truth about the NFA : NO registered supressor or machinegun has ever been used in a crime !

Buy one and further enjoy varmint hunting to the max ! Legal for big game hunting in some states !

Old 08-22-2008, 12:56 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post
The ATF knows the truth about the NFA : NO registered supressor or machinegun has ever been used in a crime !
In my opinion, it is a MISTAKE to repeat the above information, as has been done everywhere, as it PROVES that registration and unconstitutional control of firearms and the right to own them PREVENTS their use for criminal purposes.

It further supports what all the damn gun-grabbing politicians have been trying to get the public to believe for years.

Think about it.