does my FFL allow me to own A silencer?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > does my FFL allow me to own A silencer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2008, 04:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default does my FFL allow me to own A silencer?

Is this all I need to legally own A supressor?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Are you being serious? Are you really an FFL holder?

No, you can't with a straight FFL

Old 04-29-2008, 05:12 PM   #3

The laws vary from state to state. Check your state laws.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:48 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default FFL allows you to own a Silencer?

Hello all/Responce to Liebo1

Ron L = seresurplus

No, it doesn't and in Fact, if your holding an FFL, you better learn a lot more about the gun laws, or the ATF will be locking you up? Silencers are the control of the ATF and Federal, yes, some states have some say sa about ownership, but Licencing for a Class 3 for that is FEDERAL, NOT STATE!

Old 05-01-2008, 02:22 AM   #5

I dont have an FFL!!! I was just curious about the silencer. I wasnt trying to fool anybody.Gun laws are very interesting to me and I try to learn all I can.I am also very interested in obtaining A FFL. I see all these kits available on line,are they necessary or can I get the info I need from ATF.If anyone would like to inform me I would appreciate it.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2947 Times on 1534 Posts
Likes Given: 262

A standard FFL or Curio and Relic FFL DO NOT afford you the priveledge of silencer/suppressor ownership/possession. You must have a Class III FFL or have paid the $200 transfer tax to do so.

People with low post counts who ask questions such as this are sometimes presumed to be posers, lurkers and possibly undercover agents or moles for the anti-gun factions. I suggest you read many hundreds of topics, post some reasonable comments before asking red flag questions.

This is not a forum full of gun nut bubbas. This is a legitimate discussion site for the exchange of LAWFUL information and tips. With the historical attacks on the Second Ammendment by certain anti-freedom groups, legitimate gun owners and sportsmen are very wary of "outsiders". Most, if not all of the long term posters on this and most other similar sites are very happy to share information with the newcomers to our sport but are careful to gild our words out of fear of being misquoted or worse.

Welcome to the forum and please read as much as you can on a variety of topics. You will get many answers from previously posted dialoge and you will learn how to present your questions in a way that does not raise those red flags.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #7
LEO

Go here to see if your state allows ownership of suppressors.

http://www.mp5.net/info/sbsconr.htm

As posted.... You have to pay a $200 tax to possess.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:50 AM   #8

I'd recommend visiting SilencerTalk and doing lots and lots of reading/searching. Methods and legal information regarding suppressor purchase/ownership in the US is discussed there in detail.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:41 PM   #9

Thank you for that comment to that gentleman. I am new to the world so your comment is useful. I am not that guy, but am ignorent non the less. I wish to obtain all the knowledge I can. How do I start gaining creadibility?

Old 07-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9392 Times on 4048 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

Greeting fellow grunt! Member of the ROP here (Retired Old Pharts) FWIW, have been into guns, shooting, reloading for about 50 years, but have never sought credibility- rather, seek knowledge. A lot of that comes from experience, some from reading, some from picking the brains of folks you have found to have a greater depth of knowledge in a particular area than you have. The internet is a wonderful tool, just remember info found there is no better than the source document. Have seen too many folks make a blanket statement without taking the time to check readily avaialble information. ("You can't send a shotgun thru the mail!" - funny, USPS mail regs say you can) Have had times that folks have told me things I was sure were not right, but would politely ask for the source of their info- and lo and behold, I learned something. Grab a beer, pull up a chair, hang around a while. Also explore other forums in subjects tht interest you. There are forums for .50 cal shooters, full auto shooters, target shooters, reloaders, etc etc etc etc. And read.