Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Does the ATF have records of gun sales? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/does-atf-have-records-gun-sales-72276/)

Coyotenator 09-12-2012 12:58 AM

Does the ATF have records of gun sales?

I was at a former gun retailer today and they said that when they closed their firearm retailing business, they were required to send all of the sales records for the last 20 years to the ATF, who is keeping them on file.

Is this true and if it is, isn't that the same as registering those weapons?

I know that they can get this info from the FFL's files by asking, but they have to have a reason to do so(recovery of a stolen weapon, used in the comission of a crime, etc.), but its different if they can go into their own files.

gladesbassin 09-12-2012 01:18 AM

I believe since they closed down then yes, they send the forms to the ATF. Otherwise as long as the shop is open then no. This is what I've heard and I'm not 100% sure but I believe it to be true.

alsaqr 09-12-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:

When Is this true and if it is, isn't that the same as registering those weapons?
Yes, it is true. The BATFE is prevented by law from registering guns.

silverado113 09-12-2012 01:20 AM

Yep we have to keep 4473s for 20 years, if you close you send them in. I'm sure they are sitting in a warehouse some where but if you are a member here you're on a list. We are all on someone's list.

Sniper03 09-12-2012 01:22 AM

Yes that is correct! Except for spot checks for reason. Unless the Dealer turns his books in when closing his business they do not have the records!:)

c3shooter 09-12-2012 01:25 AM

Glade is correct. Basically, when a dealer closes, their 4473s go to the ATF. The forms are warehoused. If ATF needs info on a crime trace from that dealer, they go dig thru the forms by hand.

ATF has not had funding or legal permission to enter all of those records into a database. Barely has funds to warehouse them. That is a LOT of paper. My LGS is busy- about 500 guns a month. 7000 a year. Times 20 years. If they should close, ATF will need a semi to pick up the records. Multiply by ALL dealers that close.

Tackleberry1 09-12-2012 01:50 AM

...if your concerned about the BATFE keeping a registry of your gun purchases just move to a Southern Border State and only buy from dealers that are within 50 miles of a border crossing.

For some unexplained reason our dutifull LEOS seem to have the hardest time tracking ANY firearms sold in this region? :rolleyes:

Tack

Old_Crow 09-12-2012 02:37 AM

When the FFL holder calls in for the background check, do they report the serial number and type of gun? I am always to busy admiring my new toy to pay attention to what is said on the phone.

gladesbassin 09-12-2012 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old_Crow
When the FFL holder calls in for the background check, do they report the serial number and type of gun? I am always to busy admiring my new toy to pay attention to what is said on the phone.

Depends on the state your in, in Florida we do not register firearms so they only run a background on you and it's a very minor one. So I doubt that they are getting serial numbers and type of firearm.

silverado113 09-12-2012 02:51 AM

They ask the type I.e. hand gun, long gun, other, but that's it. However, with a CCW most dealers don't have to do a NICS check. Of course if your state has other checks and/or requirements I can't speak on that.