Does anybody deal with 922 - school zones?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Does anybody deal with 922 - school zones?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Does anybody deal with 922 - school zones?

Hi, everyone,

I'm within the 1000 feet of a school zone, and according to USC 922 and my ATF agent I need to ensure my customers comply with it.

How do you handle this?

Sounds like I should have a small supply of gun cases and padlocks.

Is this what you do?

I would hate to lose customers because they can go a couple blocks over and not have to deal with this..

18 USC § 921(a)(25) The term “school zone” means—

(A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or

(B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.

18 USC § 922 (q)(2) --

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii) that is—
(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;

(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or

(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2014, 05:12 PM   #2

Liked 1257 Times on 838 Posts
Likes Given: 827

How are you supposed to ensure your customers comply with that? If on your property, yes, but off your property, and in the school zone, nothing you can do. Why would you put a gun shop in a school zone in the 1st place? Too much hassle. The way I read the above law, BTW, it seems that if you have your local CCL, you can not only have your gun in the school zone, but loaded and inside the school, too…is that right?

Old 02-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for your feedback clr8ter, unfortunately, I'm home based and wasn't aware of the 1000 ft rule.

922 does not apply to CHL/CCL as described here
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located

The ATF agent basically said that every firearm leaving my business must be in a locked container. Similar to the Child Safety Lock Act (CSLA).

So I'm wondering what everyone else is doing about this.

Thanks again.

G

Old 02-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Aren't you supposed to sell guns with a lock anyway?

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #5

So, in your quest to open a gun shop, no one in your local or state govts., or the ATF or anyone else told you about that 1000' rule??!!

Around here, there are no gun shops that I'm aware of that are in any school zone. If someone wanted to do that, my guess is that they would be highly discouraged from doing so, even though we are a very gun-friendly state. Some new guns come in a container that can be locked, which would be fine, but if I were to be inconvenienced in any way, that gun shop would have to be offering a SUPER good deal in order for me to buy something there. Your alternative may be to lock it and transport it out of the school zone, and give it to them in a parking lot, or something. Still...

Old 02-13-2014, 08:18 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey mountainman13, my understanding is we're supposed to sell gun locks for handguns, but the 922 law states that ALL firearms must be in a locked container.

clr8ter, no no one told me, and I never saw it in the application form or anywhere else. in fact when the ATF agent was going through his check list, and I said yes. He paused and said oh yeah there's a school on the next street over. Not a problem just make sure all the guns leaving your place are in a locked container. So he didn't think much of it.

So it was never disclosed until the meeting. It's actually a federal law that everyone ignores. You don't need to be licensed to have a gun in your vehicle right? the 1000ft radius is from the edge of the school property, almost 1/5 of a mile all the way around. Imagine how many armed people are driving by ignorant to this law, or how many people pull into a school parking lot when they get pulled over thinking they're covered under castle law / and I'm not sure which one has precedence.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #7

Only new guns I have bought have had locks. Used ones, never, that I remember. This situation is confusing. I have never seen a complete list of federal & state gun laws in one place, in an easy to read format.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes it is. That's why I'm hoping someone with more experience can chime in.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:25 PM   #9
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

As long as you issue the lock as required it isn't your issue once they leave your promises. It's not the first time I've seen something silly like this. First example that comes to mind is a local gun shop that is located in a post office. Yep you read that right. You walk through a post office to enter and exit this shop. Everyone that goes there or delivers guns there is in violation of the law. Nobody (except me) has ever thought twice about it. There are a multitude of people in my area that are licensed to carry and live inside the school zone. I also know of a shooting range that is in a school zone. Generally speaking as long as you stay off of school property you are fine. Get nailed for something and then they may tack on the violation.
Make sure you are following the law. What the customer does when they leave is their problem.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

I don't need No stinking signature.

ggenovez Likes This 
Old 02-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

WOW, that's crazy! Yup. Post office is a "federal building".

When you say issue the lock, are you referring to only handguns? and I'm guessing you're talking about the trigger lock, not the locked container that 922 is referring to. correct?