The Dive Shop San Marcos Texas FFL
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > The Dive Shop San Marcos Texas FFL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 01:52 AM   #1
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 701 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Default The Dive Shop San Marcos Texas FFL

Whatever you do, do not get an FFL transfer from The Dive Shop in San Marcos, Texas.

home

Worst FFL experience of my life.

Haven't transferred a gun since moving here so I Google FFL owners, he's listed so I call and ask about the transfer. Owner says sure send it over, I tell him it will be there in 3 days. Get Fedex notice it was delivered, go that day. "Oh sorry the Owner went on Vacation, he will be back sometime next week." Would have been nice that he mentioned that or the fact he can only do the transfer. Fine, give me a call when he gets in. They never called.

I go late the next week, the Owner is finally back and to my pleasant surprise the most unfriendly guy I've done business with. Completely devoid of emotion. He says there is a delay with the FBI approval (I didn't put my SSN on application) and will call when cleared. Of course again never calls. I go back several and days and get "Oh I found out a day after it was approved." .. Great, thanks for calling, give me the gun, two weeks after you got it.

Overpaid for the transfer too. Terrible experience. Will never do business there again.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-14-2009, 01:18 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

There are some folks that I cannot figure how how they have managed to remain in business- sorry you had to meet one of them.

FWIW, both Gunbroker and AuctionArms have a "find a FFL" feature on their home pages. Pull it up, insert your zip code, and it finds FFL holders that have registered with them as being willing to perform transfers- and in some cases, lists their fees.

I got my 03 FFL to relieve some of those headaches, and have found two friendly local 01s to handle the stuff my 03 does not cover.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:19 AM   #3

I live in the san marcos area as well and have had the same bad experience. I have had 4 firearms shipped to the dive shop and every time I get the same RUDE treatment from the owner. I feel that $35 for him to make a phone call is a good deal but I guess he feels otherwise. One time I had a rifle shipped there and they misplaced the package for almost a week until I went down there and showed them the delivery confirmation, then all the sudden they found it. Then I bought a rifle last week (christmas present, spent $1800 on it) and come to find out they are closed until the 30th and my gun has been there since monday so now I have an $1800 rifle that I cant even go get for another week (no calls or nothing from them). I wish they would of let me know they were going to be closed for so long its ridiculous. Is there any other place in this area that enjoys making money and doing business with customers because I am fed up with the dive shop and its owner.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Wow. That mirrors almost verbatim my experience. I wonder how the guy stays in business when he acts angry that your in his store. I've never had an experience like it before.

Dealing with Don at the Dive Shop was the worst customer service I have ever experienced ever.

The worst part is it's right by me, so convenient yet I would never think of giving them my business.

Dive Shop
1911 Ranch Road 12
San Marcos, TX 78666-2548
(512) 396-3483

I'm having another FFL transfer done this week. I will post my experience when I'm complete.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #5

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would think that, if you're in the Austin/San Marcos area, you would have LOTS of options for FFL dealers that would be happy to take care of your shipping or receiving needs.........?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #6
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

I avoid Austin like the plague. Only 3 FFLs here in San Marcos. I think I found a quality one though. Called him today and he already faxed his FFL information minutes after I called.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #7

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, that Austin I-35 traffic is a be-otch.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:13 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Found a great FFl here in El Paso. He starts at $25.00 and goes down $2.00 with each subsiquent transfer until it is $15.00. He also goes down $2.00 if you refer someone to him.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 02-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Excessive transfer fees is what finally spured me to get my own C&R license. Even after all of the thousands spent at my local shop, the owner still wanted to charge me $25 to handle my auction site aquisitions. Now he's lucky to see me once or twice a year.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:58 AM   #10

Default Bad transfer experience

It's amazing how some dealers try to nickel and dime you. I recently bought a pistol at gun show outside of my state. Another dealer - from my state-
agreed to handle the transfer for me. I've spent $thousands$ with this second dealer over the past decade and felt I could trust him.

He offered to do the transfer for $45, a bit high but it would save me quite a bit in shipping and a fee to another dealer so I agreed. Also, he was the only dealer from my state at the show.

When I went to pick up the gun he then tells me there's an additional $10 fee for the NICS check and tax. I guess $45 isn't enough for 5 minutes of paper work and a phone call.

So I had to pay him $60 instead of the agreed upon $45.

Well lesson learned: that little bit of greed will cost him thousands -- I won't buy squat from him going forward

When you have to shoot --SHOOT!! Don't talk!

Last edited by ggordon; 02-11-2010 at 01:00 AM.

Tags
dive shop, dive shop san marcos, ffl, marcos, san, san marcos