Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > de-milled MP5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default de-milled MP5

A friend of mine is stationed in Germany and found a de-milled MP5. He asked me two questions, that I would like to post on here, so I can give him the correct answers.
1. What BATF paperwork would he have to do in order to LEAGLY have this MP5 put back into working condition, that is full auto?

2. Does anyone know who could put it back together and make it work?

He is a Captian in the U.S. Army, so by all means he wants to do this LEAGLY.
You guys have set me straight before, so I come to you all with these questions.
Thanks,,,,here is a link to the MP5

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Last edited by matt g; 07-09-2008 at 04:33 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by truevil1313 View Post
A friend of mine is stationed in Germany and found a de-milled MP5. He asked me two questions, that I would like to post on here, so I can give him the correct answers.
1. What BATF paperwork would he have to do in order to LEAGLY have this MP5 put back into working condition, that is full auto?

2. Does anyone know who could put it back together and make it work?

He is a Captian in the U.S. Army, so by all means he wants to do this LEAGLY.
You guys have set me straight before, so I come to you all with these questions.
Thanks,,,,here is a link to the MP5
His best bet is to contact his IG office and coordinate it through them. Being that he's in Germany, American laws don't currently apply to him.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Matt's right - however an import tax would apply, and with the regulations as I understand them, you can't import a true, automatic machine gun without a ton of paperwork and taxes associated with it. I believe that is why all models of H&K, and other gun makers from Europe, are not available for sale here.

There is a guy here that goes by Mr. Clean - he is a wealth of knowledge on this subject. I would suggest sending him a PM - He is a Class III guy and knows the rules inside and out.

JD

Old 07-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I do believe that you could import the de-milled weapon. Again, taxes and paper work would be immense and probably not worth it. Could you ever make it a full auto once its been imported - NEVER - Once de-milled always de-milled. I know of 2-3 mp5 (fully transferable) that are available now. That would be alot easier.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:13 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks guys, I have sent your responses on to him, and I also told him to join this fourm! Thanks again!!

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm2_man View Post
I do believe that you could import the de-milled weapon. Again, taxes and paper work would be immense and probably not worth it. Could you ever make it a full auto once its been imported - NEVER - Once de-milled always de-milled. I know of 2-3 mp5 (fully transferable) that are available now. That would be alot easier.

The gun could be put back together by a 07/02 SOT as a POST sample gun for LE or Military only or another dealer with demo letter.

Later Joe

Old 07-10-2008, 03:00 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8411 Times on 3645 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Can a demilled weapon (demilled to US BATFE Specs) be imported? Most likely- but current demill seems to involve torch cutting receiver into 3 or more bits. May want to check if that is a TRUE demill by US standards. Can it be restored? Well, if it was not registered with the BATFE by May 1986, it cannot be registered to a private owner. Cut off date. Only the full autos already registered can be transfered. No additional weapons can be registered. There IS an exception for dealers that sell to military and Law Enforcement AGENCIES.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks again for all of the info. I have copied and pasted your answers to an email I sent him. It looks like to me it is not worth the hassle.