Davidson's Gallery of Guns - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Davidson's Gallery of Guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Election year!!! We are waiting for coated parts to come to us, so we can finish rifle builds.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well, OldMan, actually, I base more of my prices on what the surrounding area is getting for the same gun(s). The profit margins aren't what you might think if you haven't been able to look at wholseale pricing up to now. The bulk of the price of any given firearm is there before the retailer even gets his hands on it for resale. Obviously, the quantity retailers can make more per unit sold than someone like me can. I also adjust my margin on the particular sale, giving a bit more consideration to active military and public safety people, all branches. In most cases, with name brands for sure, you will be lucky if you can make between $75-100/gun. Often, you will have to settle for making less than that.

I've been fortunate to develop factory direct deals with five different manufacturers that are willing to deal directly with small retailers and even ship individual units. These type of deals can increase your margins significantly. You have to keep your eyes open and be willing to network. This is [B]real[B] important for little guys to do if they want to survive and thrive in this business.

There's a brick & mortar gun shop near me that stocks reasonably well and does a good business because they price reasonably (considering the pricing in general) and they treat their customer base pretty well. I have a business relationship with the owner and once when we talked, he told me that if he couldn't make $100/gun at least, it wasn't worth him doing it. Now, he has significant overhead to deal with, so I can understand his feelings. I don't have that overhead and still have a day job, so I can afford to have lower margins to build up my client base and reputation until the day that I can expand. I'm looking at ways to expand without having to take out a big loan just to stock. I have my instructor cert now and am getting liability insurance end of the month, so I'll be offering classes. I also have the property to do live fire and no municipal issues to stop me, so it's an ideal situation. If you get inventive, you can make it work being one of the smallest fish in our big sea.

As to the other comment about sales going up now, I spoke to my Davidson's rep the other day after I unsuccessfully tried to get a Taurus 1911 from them for someone buying one. They were out. He told me that they got in 100 ARs and they were scarfed up in 4 1/2 minutes by retailers. Yep....the feeding frenzy has begun again.

I, myself, took in an AK pistol from someone that needed cash this morning. It was listed here in the classifieds and by the time I finished, it was sold pending funds transfer, not to anyone here unfortunately, but to someone that called me.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Oh, and also Old Guy...Ruger is not accepting orders until probably May. They passed the 1,000,000 sales mark for last quarter and are overwhelmed. I had someone looking for a pink gripped LCP and had the same problem.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #14

so if you use Gallery of Guns as a reseller who does the background check? GoG when the customer orders it or you as the FFL when you recieve the gun and the customer comes to pick it up?

”The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.”
~Wayne LaPierre

Old 03-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2111 View Post
so if you use Gallery of Guns as a reseller who does the background check? GoG when the customer orders it or you as the FFL when you recieve the gun and the customer comes to pick it up?
That would/should fall to the retailer that you are buying it from.. GoG is selling throughout the US to you via the retailer (dealer) so it falls to the retailer to run the check since they have to comply with their state laws.

Never considered the current "feeding frenzy" that's going on however in the case of the SR1911's, at least in my area, they have been scarce since they first came out for sale. I really hate when folks go nuts like this. Sorta like when bad weather is gonna hit and all the bread and milk disappears ..

Last edited by TheOldMan; 03-30-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #16

All new guns that are popular are scarce to small dealers, limited production numbers at the time of release and allocation put the little guy out of luck on many things. As of last week Ruger GSRs SR1911 MKIII threaded pistols were all hard to come by from distributors. Another reason why you may check 10 differant distriburors and no one has that 1 gun you need is because there is also gaps between production runs and so there is lack of supply at times until the manufacture has time to build more and get them out the distributers.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

How true, MrM4, how true.