Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > credit and distributors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Dallas... not willingly.,TEXAS... if I don't type it as big as possible, they'll kick me out.

Thanks to everyone for the information. I will be doing cash or check only, no credit.
I may sound stubborn about it, but credit card fraud and firearms just scares me to no end, cash is real to me. Maybe it's just mental.
I was not aware that merchants... are they the same as distributors... charge a monthly fee.
Seems kind of like bad business to charge someone to do business with you and then make more profit on top of that!

Even if it's but 10 bucks, money is money in this economy.

I had a look at a distributor's web site and found that they had Mossberg 500's for $160 or so. The only local dealers about are Wally world, and a pawn shop.
The pawn fellow had a last ditch arisaka... $130. Forgive him for he knows not what he does. A used and cut on Mossberg 500 was $350. Forgive him.
Wally had 500s for $210. So I figure that I can undercut a good deal of Walmart's prices.
Even with S+H, the price through me is still lower, so you know what?... I'm feeling good about this.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I just got my finger prints in today, and had words with the chief of police about pricing for guns. Things are sunny side up!

were there is a will, there is a way, even if it's not easily recognizable.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:44 AM   #12

Likes Given: 1

Waiting for my license to come in I have been slowly setting up my business. I looked at Costco’s merchant services because of their low rates. I contacted the company servicing for Costco and asked if they support business in the shooting sports arena? They quickly emailed me back a response containing the following
“Good afternoon Bob,
I received your question about supporting your type of business. You had asked “Do you support business in the shooting sports arena? “

For most businesses the answer is yes, the exception is for Firearms, Ammunition and some accessories being sold through a website.”

Well scratch them off the list.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:45 AM   #13

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbob View Post
Waiting for my license to come in I have been slowly setting up my business. I looked at Costco’s merchant services because of their low rates. I contacted the company servicing for Costco and asked if they support business in the shooting sports arena? They quickly emailed me back a response containing the following
“Good afternoon Bob,
I received your question about supporting your type of business. You had asked “Do you support business in the shooting sports arena? “

For most businesses the answer is yes, the exception is for Firearms, Ammunition and some accessories being sold through a website.”

Well scratch them off the list.
So...they support business in the shooting sports arena...unless there's firearms involved?

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 05-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
10-32

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113
Mountain, who is your merchant account holder? I'm looking for one now.
I finally got a response. He said just use your bank. Lol
He's kind of a funny old vet. I sent him another email explaining your looking for a better setup. We'll see if he has any input.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #15

Liked 359 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
I finally got a response. He said just use your bank. Lol
He's kind of a funny old vet. I sent him another email explaining your looking for a better setup. We'll see if he has any input.
Yeah I'm still waiting to see what rates my bank will offer. I'm also looking for a POS system or a cheap way to create a POS. Thanks, let him know I'm a retired Marine with too many bumps on the head...maybe that will help

@wjnfirearms what POS setup do you have if you don't mind me asking?

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #16
10-32

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

I'll be in there Sunday. I'll see if I can get more info if he doesn't email me back.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #17

Liked 627 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Starting out I would not bother with a POS system. It is not needed. You can use a simple cash register.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #18

Liked 359 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I was looking at one of those systems that hook up to an existing laptop but it seems there are a lot of mixed reviews on the software. Looks like I'm going cash register and merchant though.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That's what I'd do, silverado. Keep it simple.

I keep records as required on paper. I'm not going to spend for software with lower sales. Doesn't make sense to me. I use regular receipts from Staples and a rubber stamp for them I got through iprint.com. My merchant service costs me nothing unless I use it and having one smartphone based is good for if I ever expand to do shows. My wife keeps excellent books as she's qualified to do so and uses QuickBooks as we already have it for other things. I could use QuickBooks to print receipts, but it's easier just to do them long hand. Ok, I'm old school. Down the road, I'm going to have receipt books made with my info and logo on them. No rush now. My business cards I make on the computer and they look pretty nice if I do say so myself. Having a publishing program helps. I use it also to print fliers that I post around the area where I'm able to. I do pay for a hardline phone mostly for the fax machine, but I use it as the shop number also. As I use it frequently and the wife does also for her notary and land agent dealings, it is money well spent.

The key when you're a hobby business is to keep it cheap, but accurate. You can write everything off that goes exclusively into your business, but first, you have to put out the money to get the stuff. It takes time to recoup those funds. Look at what you may already have that you can dovetail into the business to save you $$.

Here's how I saved major money and still have a fully fuctional and asetically pleasing office. My counter that I have in the office to conduct business across I built out of a sliding wooden door and two wooden two drawer file cabinets that we already had. Turned out great and serves the purpose very well. It looks nice also. My desk speakerphone I bought at a garage sale. I bought the printers we use when I found them deeply discounted and shopped around until I found what suited our needs. The small glass showcase I have I got for free and the table it's mounted on, yes, a garage sale. Works just fine and looks good. Bulletin board, flea market. File cabinet, garage sale. Storage cupboards, flea market. Find the inner picker in you and see how well you can set up shop on the cheap.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #20

I also use Square. No problems. When I order a firearm for someone, I try to get 10%, but never below 5%. I use a credit card to order (I have to pay 2% and sometimes 3%, but it is usually cheaper than COD and much easier. Without being a stocking dealer its hard to get a line of credit. I do transfers for $20 and make almost as much as if I sell the gun without the liability. I was doing 8 to 10 a week, but we moved to Waco from Austin and I'm lucky to get 3 a week now. I am retired though and get great write offs so its ok.