Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Couple question about application process

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Couple question about application process

couple questions i would like to run by you salty dawgs...

I am applying for FFL and ...
1. Has anyone run into issues with zoning for opening up a online gun shop from home? I live in the Austin area and am zoned residential...all my bid niz would be done online and no real inventory or foot traffic.

2. My wife/business partner back in college (20 yrs ago..damn sorority girls )) got caught shoplifing a shirt and was never convicted....came out as a misdemenor. Will this affect me getting my FFL. She is actually thinking about getting it exponged

thanks for all the help

2111 out

Last edited by 2111; 03-10-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Check with your local authorities to see if they regulate home based businesses. Best way to go. Do this before you send in the FFL app and money.

If her name is not attached to the FFL application, shouldn't be an issue. I doubt that it would be in any case.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

1) It doesn't matter if you'll be doing online business only or serving customers in your house, you'll still need to be in compliance with your local zoning laws. Don't waste your time applying for an FFL until you know you can meet these requirements. Being in a residential area it's likely you'll have to apply for a variance. First step should be to visit your local zoning department.

2) A charge against someone else will have no impact on your application. If your wife is going to be on the FFL with you she'll have to answer that yes, she's been arrested. A shoplifting charge, especially so long ago, is minimal and will have no impact. You may need to get a certificate of disposition from the jurisdiction that she was arrested in.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #4

good thing is she was never arrested. As far as the FFL, i was going to put it in the company name an she is part of the company so i was going to have to list her on the form. I would be the main person on the form

thanks for the input

"But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you ... it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
- Dalai Lama

”The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.”
~Wayne LaPierre

Old 03-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #5

I just went through the process and got my FFL...Call your local police department about the zoning...Sometimes it does matter how close to a school you live. My police department only wanted to make sure I would not be blocking traffic and that is it. Even if you are going to be just Internet based call your local police.

About your wife...Depends on if she is on the application.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #6

Liked 246 Times on 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee
I just went through the process and got my FFL...Call your local police department about the zoning...Sometimes it does matter how close to a school you live. My police department only wanted to make sure I would not be blocking traffic and that is it. Even if you are going to be just Internet based call your local police.

Can u get firearms or ammo cheaper witb a ffl

Old 03-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

Yes you can get dealer discounts etc.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

You guys are lucky. In my state you are required to have a store front.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5111 Times on 2659 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
Can u get firearms or ammo cheaper witb a ffl
if your not engaged in the buying and selling of firearms with your ffl and just using it to buy stuff for your own use you wont be out of jail for very long.

while you can buy some stuff for yourself you must be engaged in selling as a real business.

the only exception is the ffl that lets you buy C&R firearms personally. that one you dont have to be running a business and can still get some things discounted.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post

Your local police have NOTHING to do with Zoning.

That is call the Zoning Board or the Planning commission. Cops don't do zoning. thats just silly.