Confused on what a Class III FFL is... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Confused on what a Class III FFL is...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10191 Times on 4399 Posts
Likes Given: 1618

A rifle with a barrel less than 16 inches, or overall length under 26 inches, is an SBR- yes, it would be transfered to you thru a Dealer that has a Class III SOT. Yes, you go thru pretty much same paperwork as for a full auto, and same fee. Check your STATE laws before gong too far- easy way is to find a Class III dealer, go talk with them.

Re: Avatar, that is Strother Martin, is his role as "Captain" from the movie Cool Hand Luke. Note the signature line.

Re: 5.56, there is no best. It is unsafe to fire 5.56 in a .223, unsafe to fire .308 in a 7.62. It CAN be done, but not safely. Note: To the person sitting there about to say "I've done that dozens of times with no problems"- another quote- from Clint Eastwood- "You've got to ask yourself- Do I feel lucky? Well.....do ya ?"

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 10-26-2011 at 10:58 PM.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
A rifle with a barrel less than 16 inches, or overall length under 26 inches, is an SBR- yes, it would be transfered to you thru a Dealer that has a Class III SOT. Yes, you go thru pretty much same paperwork as for a full auto, and same fee. Check your STATE laws before gong too far- easy way is to find a Class III dealer, go talk with them.

Re: Avatar, that is Strother Martin, is his role as "Captain" from the movie Cool Hand Luke. Note the signature line.

Re: 5.56, there is no best. It is unsafe to fire 5.56 in a .223, unsafe to fire .308 in a 7.62. It CAN be done, but not safely. Note: To the person sitting there about to say "I've done that dozens of times with no problems"- another quote- from Clint Eastwood- "You've got to ask yourself- Do I feel lucky? Well.....do ya ?"
Word, thanks for all the info bro, I appreciate it.

And you should look at a picture of that Byron Ferguson, cause your avatar looks just like him lol

Old 10-27-2011, 04:55 AM   #13

A rifle with a barrel length of less than 16 inches and an overall length of less than 26 inches is a Short Barreled Rfiel (SBR) defined under the National Firearms Act (NFA). A Class III SOT on an ATF Type 01 or 02 FFL within your state of residence is required in order for you to acquire the firearm. The Class III SOT FFL will facilitate the transfer of said NFA Weapon to you by helping you prepare and submit an ATF Form 4; Application for a Tax Paid Transfer of an NFA Weapon.

However you may apply directly to ATF to assemble your own SBR using an ATF Form 1 without an FFL as long as SBR's are legal in your State of residence and that is the place you plan to use and store the weapon.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:36 AM   #14

Um, you just said everything the other guy already said lol thanks anyways tho lol

Old 10-30-2011, 04:02 AM   #15

Sorry about that; this is what happens when you do not scan the second page before you respond.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Correct. It would have to go through a dealer in your state, unless you were buying it from a resident of your state. Then no dealer is required by federal statute. The $200 transfer tax (thing) goes in with the submission of the Form 4 and associated paperwork. After 4-8 months, the dealer will receive the approved Form 4 back and transfer the rifle to you on a standard 4473. You must maintain the Form 4 with stamp as proof of registration, but you can make a copy to keep on you or with the rifle (I do both) and safely store the original.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #17

I'm in school for my Masters in Security Management with the intent of starting a consulting firm for PSD and other type security consulting. My question is in regards to type of license I need to purchase equipment such as suppressors, and rifles like the M6A2 UCIW by LWRC Int.
Caliber: 5.56 NATO and 6.8 SPC
Barrel Length: 8"
Weight (unloaded): 6.25lbs
Length (overall): 22" - 24.3"
My state has does not ban suppressors and I understand I would need to pay a one time tax stamp fee of $200 which would then give me the legal right to have possession of the suppressor. I'm not concerned about the background as I already have a CCP and a Security Clearance. I'm just trying to get educated as to which route I need to go in order to purchase and maintain weapons as such so that the people I employ will be allowed to carry them while on the job. I appreciate any and all ideas and insight to help me navigate these bureaucratic red tape waters.
Thank you.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

In the case of a corporation, the firearms (and a suppressor IS a firearm under Federal law) would be owned by the corporation. Transfer would be to the corporation. Full auto firearms that can be transferred to a private corporation will have a price that takes your breath away- a transferrable M16 is around $16,000.

You do not need a special license to own them nor to possess them- but the transfer of ownership must be approved by the BATFE. It cannot violate the laws in that state- SOME states ban full autos or suppressors.

Your first shopping stop should be to locate a Class III DEALER in your home state- they can guide you through the process.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

"Class III" is a misnomer, but widely used and probably the easiest way to refer to the Special Occupational Tax category of dealer/manufacturer license. More about that later.

You, as an individual, can purchase as many firearms/suppressors as your wallet can bear. But if you buy them as an individual, the only way anyone else carry/use them is with you present. If you create a trust or limited liability corporation (LLC) you can list other people who can use the trust's/LLC's assets.

For your purposes, you will probably create a more traditional corporation (since you will actually be conducting business and not just trying to buy NFA firearms) and you will want to get a corporate lawyer involved in the process.

If you decided that you wanted to become a FFL/SOT dealer, there are a few hoops through which you need to jump AND there are costs involved that will cause heart palpitations if you are going it alone. Again, as a legitimate security corporation, a lot of costs will be tax deductible and of limited concern.

Read the rules on the ATF website about licensing procedures; it might help.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

MasterSgt- Good post- and he IS correct- Class III is not the legal term for the dealer- but when you mention SOT (Special Occupational Tax) you usually get a vacant look from folks.