Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Class 3 weapons questions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/class-3-weapons-questions-17668/)

CekingSDS 09-03-2009 09:43 PM

Class 3 weapons questions

One of the companies I will be doing contracting work for is an EP (Executive Protection) company. Now granted if we do our "Advance" well we shouldn't have any conflicts or have problems with a high-threat situation. However, as reputation builds, and as the Clients reach into a different scale; regardless of our "Advance" the threat-level will be greater, just as it is protecting high up political figures. Just by personality, I'd rather over-prepare than step in something hip dip with little or no way out if a High-Threat went very bad. Granted we already have AR's and Tact Shotguns, but obviously there is a difference.

So my question is, are there any discounts for the licensing & weapon for EP private sector teams like ours? We will also be wearing BP vests on most of our details as well, and as you know; that's an expensive item to.

Didn't know if anyone on here would have any insight on this, but I figured I would throw the question out there in case.

Thanks,
Caleb

c3shooter 09-04-2009 12:45 AM

Well, here's your problem.

In May of 1986, the law changed. After that date, no additional full auto weapons could be sold in the US to a private citizen. Only the ones already registered with the ATF could be transferred. The only NEW full autos that could be transferred were to the Military or to bona fide law enforcement AGENCIES.

Your issue will not be the tax stamp ($200, and it IS a tax, and they do not discount taxes) Or the FFL transfer fee (usually $100-200)Your issue will be that the PRICE of a full auto that CAN be transferred has shot clean thru the roof, passd the clouds, and is headed for the Space Shuttle in orbit.

If you are seeking, say, an M-16- well, last TRANSFERRABLE one I saw was $16,000. See, they don't make them anymore. Have seen some Mac-10/ MAC 11 types for about $2800, but would not carry one of those on a bet. Uzi? HA!

Seriously, it is a freakin' shame, but it is what it is. And not that you asked for it, but IMHO, the tactical value of full auto is highly overrated. Unless you are dealing with the 3rd Godless Horde Brigade trying to storm thru the wire on your perimeter, or stop a semi (and a .50 Barrett can do that)

CekingSDS 09-04-2009 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 155117)
Well, here's your problem.

In May of 1986, the law changed. After that date, no additional full auto weapons could be sold in the US to a private citizen. Only the ones already registered with the ATF could be transferred. The only NEW full autos that could be transferred were to the Military or to bona fide law enforcement AGENCIES.

Your issue will not be the tax stamp ($200, and it IS a tax, and they do not discount taxes) Or the FFL transfer fee (usually $100-200)Your issue will be that the PRICE of a full auto that CAN be transferred has shot clean thru the roof, passd the clouds, and is headed for the Space Shuttle in orbit.

If you are seeking, say, an M-16- well, last TRANSFERRABLE one I saw was $16,000. See, they don't make them anymore. Have seen some Mac-10/ MAC 11 types for about $2800, but would not carry one of those on a bet. Uzi? HA!

Seriously, it is a freakin' shame, but it is what it is. And not that you asked for it, but IMHO, the tactical value of full auto is highly overrated. Unless you are dealing with the 3rd Godless Horde Brigade trying to storm thru the wire on your perimeter, or stop a semi (and a .50 Barrett can do that)

Well, more of the question of, taking a semi-auto rifle, and just buying the parts to change it to full auto. As well as some FB grenades as well.

c3shooter 09-04-2009 02:19 AM

Converting a semi-auto firearm to a full auto firearm involves a bit more than "replacing a few parts".

It also carries the fascinating name of "manufacturing a machinegun". Which cannot LEGALLY be done except by someone that is licensed as a manufacturer, has paid the SOT for that, and STILL cannot be transferred to entity other than military or LEO agency.

And BTW, the penalty for violating that is 10 yrs in a Federal prison, and a fine of $250,000. Not to mention loss of your right to ever possess any firearm for the rest of your life.

If you work in the professional security field, I would suggest you immediately fire your legal advisor.

Dillinger 09-04-2009 02:29 AM

CekingSDS -I am closing this thread because the information requested here, while it may be in a truly honest and wishing to understand fashion, suggesting modification of a firearm without a license, is in fact illegal, as are anyways "around" that sort of thing.

C3 has provided the information that is relevant under the 1986 law change.

I would STRONGLY suggest that if your operation is truly interested in this, you consider hiring INTELLIGENT legal counsel who can pave some of this way for you.

JD