You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion >

Class 3 Questions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5
Default Class 3 Questions?

So, how does one become a Class 3 holder?

Is a Class 3 license certifying the person+the gun? Or simply the person themselves? (once I have it, I'm clear to buy authorized pieces?)

What is the routine, once you have one?
allabouttactics is offline  
Reply With Quote

Join Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join Today! - Click Here

Old 05-21-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Longmont
Posts: 426
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default RE: Class 3 Questions

Class 3 license is to SELL machineguns.

SOT : Special Occupational Tax Payer or TAX STAMPER is an individual who owns registered machineguns.

You pay a one-time $ 200 transfer tax for each serial numbered part
machinegun/silencer/shortbarreled rifle/shotgun.

Must live in a state where legal. Form must be signed by a Sheriff/Chief of police to purchase unless registered to a Corporation or LLC..a way around LE signature. Submit to ATF after paying for the machinegun, wait about 3 months for approval.

Machineguns MUST be pre-may 1986 Mfg to be transferrable. New SBR/SBS or silencers no problem.
Dgunsmith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
LEO's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 67

Point of interest....

For a machine gun only.... you do NOT have to pay any tax if it is a SBR. If you intend to move the sear from that machine gun and use it in another.... you would need to have the original machine gun registered as a SBR before you could leave it sear-less.

This is the case with HK models that have trigger packs that can be moved from one gun to another.
LEO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:38 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Subgun Ordnance's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 21

First off you need to apply for your FFL then you can proceed to obtain your SOT class 3 license. Remember before you go in for all the paperwork make sure you are zoned if you plan on doing this out of your house the FFL is good for 3yrs and the SOT is due every year July1 $500. IF you are just planning to do this for personal gain to get machine guns dont bother you have to make sales otherwise it is tax evasion it just makes sense.

If you are doing this as a consumer the other option for sign off is doing a living trust besides the LLC route. I have many customers go this route it is not a business and therefore not as complicated.

Hope this helps
Later Joe
Subgun Ordnance is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
FFL CLass 3 k_dogg NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion 35 05-09-2012 03:09 AM
A couple of questions about class 3/full auto purchasing Crispy129 NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion 1 06-26-2009 04:37 AM
Training class Chortdraw Training & Safety 0 05-11-2008 05:46 PM
Getting your Class 3 Sarge NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion 9 06-16-2007 02:34 AM