Class 3 license
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Class 3 license

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Class 3 license

I have a couple of customers that have inquired about suppressors and am thinking about getting a class 3. I have a type 7 now and the machinery to make them. I made one years age when I was a kid and didn't know any better (or didn't have enough sense to think about the law). What think you all?:

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner43 View Post
I have a couple of customers that have inquired about suppressors and am thinking about getting a class 3. I have a type 7 now and the machinery to make them. I made one years age when I was a kid and didn't know any better (or didn't have enough sense to think about the law). What think you all?:
the way america's becoming idk.

“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8703 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Already got the tooling to produce?
Can you produce a good design that the material and labor costs would be a significant afvantage over other commercially made cans?
Would sales be enough to offset the additional licensing fees?
Would it be worth the additional paperwork?
What is the Excise tax for a suppressor- since the ATF considers them a firearm, there MUST be an excise tax on them-

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 11-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #4

Hey guys. Yes I have the tooling and material to produce. I also have the design ability. The demand for the product is what I'm looking at. If I only make one or two a year then it's not worth the hassle but if there is a market for 15-20 year I could see doing it. I am just checking to see which way the wind is blowing. As far as the tax I'll have to look into that. I know that if I buy one via the internet for myself there is no tax here in TN and only sales tax if I sell it through my business.
By the way, Arizeus, forgive my ignorance but what is idk?

Old 11-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8703 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

IDK= I don't know. Excise tax is a tax collected by the Feds on every gun sold, every bullet sold, every cartridge sold. etc. Failure to pay that tax put Ithaca out of business. NOT a sales tax. Check w/ ATF Firearms Tech Branch over in Morgantown WV.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 11-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #6

I should have known that The Man would be sticking his hand in my pocket. I have been making and selling ammo under the Dead Duck brand name for some time now and with all of the tax forms that I have filled out nobody, not even the ATF, has mentioned anything about an excise tax.

Thanks for the heads-up. You may have saved me a bunch of money.