Class 3 Home Defense - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Class 3 Home Defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 04:16 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawmaker View Post
And risk it being confiscated for the investigation?

Not to mention the media getting a hold of "Man kill robber with automatic assault rifle with armor peiercing rounds, heat ray and a grenade launcher."
If I was defending my home in VA, it would pretty much be "he broke in and threatened you? Ok, have a good night sir, we will take the trash out for you"

Im ok with that.....

Old 07-16-2011, 04:23 AM   #12

True in VA. Not true in NC. I will use my mid length carbine for that. I might change my mind later down the road.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:53 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8862 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

We only use itty bitty class III's for home defense..........

20071211-kid-machine-gun.jpg

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:56 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

However, our canine companion, Semper Fido, has his own..........

dog-mg.jpg

Old 07-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawmaker View Post
No but really would you ever use a class three for HD?
Ever? I would have a hard time justifying use of the GPMG, but my short-barreled shotgun, suppressed .44 Mag or SMG...I could see that. If you have a right to use deadly force, it's not weapon-specific. When I was injured some years back and confined to a wheelchair for a spell, my F/A Uzi was a constant companion in a side pouch when I was in my house due to it's size and magazine capacity. The short shotgun is just handy for home defense and has a light for positive target ID in the dark, and the suppressed rifle...quiet so as to avoid hearing damage, and it has a nice holographic sight that makes fast target acquisition a snap.

As with most other aspects of use of force, it really comes down to how well you can articulate the basis for your decisions.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:09 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

1919 has a good point- not all Class IIIs are full auto. However, if I were one of the folks living in the combat zone, with a ranch close to our Southern border, and being invaded nightly, a select fire rifle just might be part of MY defense.

And some of us have OTHER class III items...........

claymore-thumb.jpg

It's really difficult to confiscate one of those after it has been used......

Old 07-17-2011, 04:58 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

c3shooter has a good point, I've always been for mine fields. Say a group of people trying to sneak through your property once the first one goes off they start to rethink everything.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 07-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2112 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 3180

Massad Ayoob testifies as an expert witness for the defense at grand juries and criminal trials of folks who have used guns in self defense. Ayoob says that every case he is aware of the shooter who used a full-auto weapon for self defense went to at least the grand jury stage.

Ayoob puts forth this case as a prime example. Warning: The language gets a little graphic:

"F you and your high powered rifle!" The Gary Fadden incident - The Ayoob files | American Handgunner | Find Articles at BNET

Old 07-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #19

Great article. Exactly my point. You might be justified in your SD shooting but it will cost you. Cost him $45,000 which was only half of the bill. When he could of used his 9mm HK VP70Z pistol. Not saying it would of done the job of the AC556 but still.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

With all due respect to Mas--a friend of mine--it's going to play out the way that it's going to play out. Do I carry Class III weapons as defensive arms? No. But if I hear glass breaking at 3AM in my own home, and my Uzi and it's asttached mag pouch is closer at hand than my shotgun, that's probably the weapon that I'm going to pull out of the safe because the time to shop and select "optimum" weapons has passed. The issue is whether or not you had a right to defend yourself with deadly force, not what type of weapon that you employed. If your life is in danger, you have the right to shoot the bad guy, stab him, hit him with a bat, or piss on him and throw the electric toaster at him....whatever it takes. And that includes using a legally-owned firearm, regardless of the barrel length or the number of rounds that it's capable of firing.