Can I sell a custom built 10/22 - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Can I sell a custom built 10/22

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
"Club Fed" is filled with people who thought they could get away with stuff.

Buy a lower, Assemble, then sell for the amount you have in it is not "adding value".
Buy a lower, Assemble, add time, then sell it, and you are making a profit off of your time. Making profit must have a license.

ok. I can see that.

but is all profit making required to have a license? what happens when you buy a gun for $500, and due to collectability, desirability, etc. the "fair market value" goes up to $700 and you sell it for a $200 profit?

Old 04-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #32

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

First off the ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) only deals with foreign commerce.
I am just passing along the info given to me by the ATF enforcement agent in the process of getting my FFL. I ask a lot of questions to be sure that I did not break any laws. Some of this stuff doesn't sound right but it is the law. If you won’t to screw something up give to the government to regenerate. The ATF has put bluing a gun under manufacturing. A local shop was required to get a type 07 license because they had a bluing tank. If you want to know what the laws are get pub. 5300_4 by going to atf.com. Look for publications on the right hand side of the page. It is free. After you read through that you will see what I am talking about and have to deal with. I does not have to make since to congress or the ATF.

Type o7 FFL

"When I was 18 I knew all the answers. Now I don't know all the questions"
Me

Old 04-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #33
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3443 Times on 1971 Posts
Likes Given: 1497

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
but is all profit making required to have a license? what happens when you buy a gun for $500, and due to collectability, desirability, etc. the "fair market value" goes up to $700 and you sell it for a $200 profit?
That is different than 20-30 ARs. Selling one does not put you in the "business".

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #34

Liked 127 Times on 90 Posts

but, when you put together ONE AR and sell it at any mark up over the cost of the parts, that does put you in the business?

these laws are all ambiguously vague, and only go to show how "gun control laws" do nothing but make criminals out of honest people, and does very little to stop actual crime.

I understand why they want "gun manufactures" to have licenses to be sure they are not engaging in shady practices that put guns into the hands of criminals.

straw purchases are already illegal, so it shouldn't matter if you buy a complete gun and sell it to a criminal or if you buy parts and put them together and sell it to a criminal.

likewise, it shouldn't matter if you buy a complete gun and sell it later at a profit or if you buy a bunch of parts, put them together and later sell it later for a profit.

If the above is true about the bluing tank... that just doesn't pass the common sense test. refinishing a gun that was already complete should not qualify as manufacturing a firearm.... but, I thought the liberals were all about "passing common sense gun control to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and mentally ill persons"

--Not trying to argue with anyone, just trying to better understand the laws of the hobby that I participate in

Old 04-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #35
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3443 Times on 1971 Posts
Likes Given: 1497

Always go to the source if questions arise: BATF.
(Although some agents are also confused at times. But you went to the source instead of "internet lawyers".)

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #36

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The ITAR law says even if your only sell to US citizens and don't export, you still have to pay the fee. The ITAR law says it's there to monitor small arms, but that's what the 07 FFL is for(in the US). It's just more BS govt theft of our money and discouragement from getting into the firearms trade. Because of this I can't start the small business I want to. ITAR makes it unrealistic for a small operation to get started.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #37

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Some of you are missing the point. ATF rules are about commerce and value. You have to intend to engage in commerce to get a FFL. If you build a firearm with the intent of selling to another party you must be licensed. IF I buy a legal AR stripped lower and build it into a complete lower to SELL, I have manufactured it under ATF regulations. I must then add my company name and the city where I am located to the to the lower receiver . This thread started by asking could the finished 80% lower be sold. The answer is not without the proper FFL. That is unless you would like to be the guest of federal corrections for 10 years.

Type o7 FFL

"When I was 18 I knew all the answers. Now I don't know all the questions"
Me
c3shooter Likes This 
Old 04-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #38
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10549 Times on 4555 Posts
Likes Given: 1692

Aaaaaand I think that right there answers the question. Thank you good sir, and we are done here.
Closed Thread