Can I sell a custom built 10/22 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Can I sell a custom built 10/22

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 12:17 AM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2560 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

I am not a fan of these 80% deals becuase sooner or later someone is going to serve 10 years in Federal Prison and $20,000 Minimum Fine! Aint worth the chance for saving a couple of bucks or having a little fun building. Like it has been mentioned things that can get a good person tripped up. Are manufacturing a weapon without a Federal Manufacturers License, Federal Excise Tax violations, Manufacturers name on the Receiver, Complete Address, Serial Number, Illegal Transfer, FFL License and on and on! If your building them you best count on keeping them forever with out any of the previous mentioned items. And what happens after you are gone? Could it cause future problems for the family? No thanks on my part! Don't need any problems.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 04-05-2013, 01:09 AM   #12
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1577 Times on 964 Posts
Likes Given: 8154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
I am not a fan of these 80% deals becuase sooner or later someone is going to serve 10 years in Federal Prison and $20,000 Minimum Fine! Aint worth the chance for saving a couple of bucks or having a little fun building. Like it has been mentioned things that can get a good person tripped up. Are manufacturing a weapon without a Federal Manufacturers License, Federal Excise Tax violations, Manufacturers name on the Receiver, Complete Address, Serial Number, Illegal Transfer, FFL License and on and on! If your building them you best count on keeping them forever with out any of the previous mentioned items. And what happens after you are gone? Could it cause future problems for the family? No thanks on my part! Don't need any problems.

I am in 100% agreement with '03 here. After the proper research is done those 80% "deals" are not deals at all. OP, it ain't worth you freedom. If you build it, you may wind up having to put in your will that the rifle is to be buried with you, or have a plan in place for it's destruction.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 04-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2873 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

With the 10-22 costing so little compared to other .22s, why not buy the original and avoid the hassle?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5668 Times on 2960 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
With the 10-22 costing so little compared to other .22s, why not buy the original and avoid the hassle?
Its a 10-22 22 magnum not common. But volquartsen and a few others make legally transferable recievers.

Still not legal for you to sell or give to anyone who you know cannot pass the requirements for a form 4417 or would be ineleigable to recieve a firearm.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #15
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

4417 or 4473?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 04-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5668 Times on 2960 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
4417 or 4473?
4473. Typo on my part

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have a type 7 license. I is not legal to sale, giveaway, or leave it to some in your will if you build it your self. To sell it it has to be manufactured by a licensed manufacture to be thansfurable to another party. If you build it on a 100% lower it might be ok but I would call the ATF first. They will give you a straight answer.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Am I missing something or could be simply get a serial number out on the receiver and register it? Or have his friend do the same before its assembled? Then it would essentially be the same as an AR build?

Old 04-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #19
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Firemonkey150 - the key thing is that the OP is not licensed to manufacture. Completing the receiver is "manufacturing".

To complete a firearm for yourself is okay, but to sell it is a no-no.

The same with the AR. Completing the kit is "manufacturing". For yourself, again okay. To sell, no-no.

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 04-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8855 Times on 3835 Posts
Likes Given: 1382

Just to reinforce- and maybe clarify a bit for some new folks-

The receiver legally IS the gun. In the case of an AR, the LOWER receiver. If you bought a finished receiver, added all the parts to make a working gun, you did not manufacture a firearm. Whoever completed the manufacture of the lower reciever was the manufacturer. If I buy one, it is treated the same as a firearm (you must be 21 to buy one, since it is not a rifle or shotgun yet- it is an "other")

HOWEVER- a receiver that is 80% (or less) complete is NOT YET a firearm. It is a paper weight. Until it is milled, drilled, threaded, shaped, etc, it cannot be made to fire anything. I can buy one by mail, and it does not need to pass thru the hands of a FFL.

Under current federal law, nothing prohibits you from making a gun for your own use. But if you buy an 80% receiver, complete it to 100%, you cannot put the gun into the stream of commerce (sell it) unless you had the aforementioned FFL as a Manufacturer of Firearms.

If you live in a state that does not allow ownership of a given firearm, you cannot dodge that by building your own.

DISCLAIMER- My FFL is NOT a Manufacurer's FFL. Anyone that IS a Manfacturer, please feel free to correct anything I said.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Closed Thread