Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Can I get some advice on my modified shotgun??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Can I get some advice on my modified shotgun??

My Father gave me a Winchester Pump shotgun on my wedding day in 1982. He told me, "Now you have a Woman to protect." He told me he bought it new and had his gunsmith saw it off "Legally" and put Remington "Speed Grips" pistol grips on it, so its easy and efficient for in-Home protection, and illegal for Hunting. Its a thing of Beauty, and Ive kept it Clean and lubed like he taught me as a boy. Ive had it for 28 years. He passed away in 1990. It is 30 inches in total length, and the barrel is 19 1/2 inches long. it holds 3 20 guage shells.
Do i have to register it with NFA?? I never even thought about it until now, and i want to comply with the law. Any help would be appreciated, and Thank You in advance.
PS. I read the NFA info online, but frankly couldn't understand it all. Augy

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2010, 12:24 AM   #2

Liked 85 Times on 65 Posts

it does not have to be registered. it is not an nfa weapon.

not adequate for hunting but nevertheless, it is legal to use.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:30 AM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augy View Post
My Father gave me a Winchester Pump shotgun on my wedding day in 1982. He told me, "Now you have a Woman to protect." He told me he bought it new and had his gunsmith saw it off "Legally" and put Remington "Speed Grips" pistol grips on it, so its easy and efficient for in-Home protection, and illegal for Hunting. Its a thing of Beauty, and Ive kept it Clean and lubed like he taught me as a boy. Ive had it for 28 years. He passed away in 1990. It is 30 inches in total length, and the barrel is 19 1/2 inches long. it holds 3 20 guage shells.
Do i have to register it with NFA?? I never even thought about it until now, and i want to comply with the law. Any help would be appreciated, and Thank You in advance.
PS. I read the NFA info online, but frankly couldn't understand it all. Augy
30" total length and 19.5" barrel is not a Class III SBS as far as I know, what is "sawed off" about it? Did he cut a 26" barrel down to 19.5?" That is legal as long as the barrel never goes below 18" and the overall length is 26" or more. The law gets more complicated regarding what's a SBS versus an AOW versus a DD but you seem to be ok. If in doubt contact a lawyer in your state or take the gun to a gunshop and let them look it over. Worse case you're out $200 for a BATF stamp.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-09-2010, 12:31 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I believe the BATFE folks would only be interested "legally" in a shotgun that was less than 18 inches for the barrel AND/OR less than 26 inches in total length.

If the weapon is as you described, I believe you are 100% okay UNLESS, and this is a big unless, there are LOCAL LAWS where you live that superscede the federal rules on what is a Short Barreled Rifle or Shotgun.

I would check locally to make sure you in compliance. No one here at FTF has passed the BAR for your area, or any area for that matter.

JD

Old 09-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default You are ok in many states...

Including Idaho, (as I saw no mention on barrel length in the hunting regs)...
Other than 10 ga is not allowed, but the 18" barrel length is a "federal-
standard" as far as I know, but in "the shotgun news" a 16.5" barrel 3 shot
12 ga Mossberg is available like a "striker" with a class 3 license! I see no
advantage in a short bbl shotgun other than "concealibility"& my pistol grip
Mossberg 20" 12ga 8 shot pump action is "concealable enough" under a trench coat! And it holds nearly 3 times the firepower of that one!

Old 09-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #6

Default Thank You all for your great information.

I will contact my local Township Police Chief to make sure I'm not violating local laws, per your sound advice. Best Regards, Augy

Old 09-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augy View Post
I will contact my local Township Police Chief to make sure I'm not violating local laws, per your sound advice. Best Regards, Augy
You're fine Augy.. Your shotgun is legal to own in all 50 states.

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 09-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

deleted duplicate

Last edited by sigp250; 09-29-2010 at 11:09 AM.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8440 Times on 3662 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Sig! Important note! Pay attention!

The original post was for a shotgun. If a shotgun barrel is not at least EIGHTEEN inches, it is a "Short Barreled Shotgun" or SBS. You are correct if the OP was about a rifle.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 09-29-2010, 01:35 PM   #10

Default Thanx, just the same.

Thanx Sigp250, for responding, just the same. I appreciate all of you for sharing your knowledge.
PS. You have a Great Forum here, and I'm proud to be a new member. Best Regards, Augy.