Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Can I get some advice on my modified shotgun?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/can-i-get-some-advice-my-modified-shotgun-31508/)

Augy 09-09-2010 12:20 AM

Can I get some advice on my modified shotgun??

My Father gave me a Winchester Pump shotgun on my wedding day in 1982. He told me, "Now you have a Woman to protect." He told me he bought it new and had his gunsmith saw it off "Legally" and put Remington "Speed Grips" pistol grips on it, so its easy and efficient for in-Home protection, and illegal for Hunting. Its a thing of Beauty, and Ive kept it Clean and lubed like he taught me as a boy. Ive had it for 28 years. He passed away in 1990. It is 30 inches in total length, and the barrel is 19 1/2 inches long. it holds 3 20 guage shells.
Do i have to register it with NFA?? I never even thought about it until now, and i want to comply with the law. Any help would be appreciated, and Thank You in advance.
PS. I read the NFA info online, but frankly couldn't understand it all. Augy

sniper762 09-09-2010 12:24 AM

it does not have to be registered. it is not an nfa weapon.

not adequate for hunting but nevertheless, it is legal to use.

Jpyle 09-09-2010 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augy (Post 347011)
My Father gave me a Winchester Pump shotgun on my wedding day in 1982. He told me, "Now you have a Woman to protect." He told me he bought it new and had his gunsmith saw it off "Legally" and put Remington "Speed Grips" pistol grips on it, so its easy and efficient for in-Home protection, and illegal for Hunting. Its a thing of Beauty, and Ive kept it Clean and lubed like he taught me as a boy. Ive had it for 28 years. He passed away in 1990. It is 30 inches in total length, and the barrel is 19 1/2 inches long. it holds 3 20 guage shells.
Do i have to register it with NFA?? I never even thought about it until now, and i want to comply with the law. Any help would be appreciated, and Thank You in advance.
PS. I read the NFA info online, but frankly couldn't understand it all. Augy

30" total length and 19.5" barrel is not a Class III SBS as far as I know, what is "sawed off" about it? Did he cut a 26" barrel down to 19.5?" That is legal as long as the barrel never goes below 18" and the overall length is 26" or more. The law gets more complicated regarding what's a SBS versus an AOW versus a DD but you seem to be ok. If in doubt contact a lawyer in your state or take the gun to a gunshop and let them look it over. Worse case you're out $200 for a BATF stamp.

Dillinger 09-09-2010 12:31 AM

I believe the BATFE folks would only be interested "legally" in a shotgun that was less than 18 inches for the barrel AND/OR less than 26 inches in total length.

If the weapon is as you described, I believe you are 100% okay UNLESS, and this is a big unless, there are LOCAL LAWS where you live that superscede the federal rules on what is a Short Barreled Rifle or Shotgun.

I would check locally to make sure you in compliance. No one here at FTF has passed the BAR for your area, or any area for that matter. :eek::cool:

JD

nwrednk 09-09-2010 10:15 AM

You are ok in many states...

Including Idaho, (as I saw no mention on barrel length in the hunting regs)...
Other than 10 ga is not allowed, but the 18" barrel length is a "federal-
standard" as far as I know, but in "the shotgun news" a 16.5" barrel 3 shot
12 ga Mossberg is available like a "striker" with a class 3 license! I see no
advantage in a short bbl shotgun other than "concealibility"& my pistol grip
Mossberg 20" 12ga 8 shot pump action is "concealable enough" under a trench coat! And it holds nearly 3 times the firepower of that one! :)

Augy 09-09-2010 12:58 PM

Thank You all for your great information.

I will contact my local Township Police Chief to make sure I'm not violating local laws, per your sound advice. Best Regards, Augy

TheOldMan 09-10-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augy (Post 347347)
I will contact my local Township Police Chief to make sure I'm not violating local laws, per your sound advice. Best Regards, Augy

You're fine Augy.. Your shotgun is legal to own in all 50 states.

sigp250 09-29-2010 11:07 AM

deleted duplicate

c3shooter 09-29-2010 12:47 PM

Sig! Important note! Pay attention! :D

The original post was for a shotgun. If a shotgun barrel is not at least EIGHTEEN inches, it is a "Short Barreled Shotgun" or SBS. You are correct if the OP was about a rifle.

Augy 09-29-2010 01:35 PM

Thanx, just the same.

Thanx Sigp250, for responding, just the same. I appreciate all of you for sharing your knowledge.
PS. You have a Great Forum here, and I'm proud to be a new member. Best Regards, Augy.