You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion >

Can I get Class 3 while deployed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OneOneBravo's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sangin Valley,Afghanistan
Posts: 8
Default Can I get Class 3 while deployed?

Hello everyone,

I am deployed at the moment in Afghanistan. Is there anyway that I can apply for my class 3 license while I am here? I would love to purchase some class 3 type firearms accessories so I can have some toys to play with at the range when I get back home!

Steady position, clear site picture, breathing control, trigger squeeze. Kill shot.
OneOneBravo is offline  
Reply With Quote

Join Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2011, 12:44 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
c3shooter's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 21,225
Liked 16326 Times on 6735 Posts
Likes Given: 2659


No, because there IS no such things as a class 3 license.

Now, pay attention- there will be a quiz later.

You want to buy a legal full auto? OK- assuming your STATE laws allow that, you need a (1) BIG wallet ( a LEGAL M16 that can be TRANSFERRED to a private citizen is about $12,000) and (2) Find a Firearms Dealer in your state that is licensed to sell Class III (notice the Roman numberals) firearms. That dealer will guide you though the process of applying for transfer of the firearm to yourself. YOU do not get the license. You DO get a registration form with a pretty $200 stamp attached to it.

The is also a TYPE 3 (notice type, not class?) Federal Firearms License. This is a Collector's license for Curio & Relic Firearms. Those are guns in their original configuration that are 50 years old or older, or are on a list published by the ATF (like all Colt Woodsman pistols) A few full auto weapons are covered under that license, but you still need to do paperwork with ATF on the transfer- and THOSE guns are even MORE expensive (price of a 1928 Thompson will make you weep)

And until you get out of the sandbox, wait.
What we have here is... failure- to communicate.
c3shooter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:51 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MrM4's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 87

There is no reason why you could not buy a NFA Item while deployed, its not uncommon for guys to have forms mailed over and then mailed to atf later on. If you have a wife or good freind who can get the Forms to a LEO for the sign off and if you can find some place over there to do your prints you are set.

If your buying from a dealer out of state all the Dealer to Dealer stuff can happen while your over then and when you get home you could do your paper work if you did not want to mail it back and forth.

C3 shooter is right , there is no licence. Just a form you fill out.

If you serious about buying something in the Class 3 world shoot me an IM and I can give you the run down.

MrM4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Afghanistan
Posts: 1

Good advice above. I'm also deployed to Afghanistan, and purchased an NFA item this deployment. I sent the dealer (David Spiwak) a personal check, and he shipped it to my local dealer once the transfer was approved. I completed the paperwork to transfer the item to me while I was home on R&R, and the transfer to me should be approved and the item ready to pick up when I return from deployment.
NavyEngineer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:11 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: West Fargo,ND
Posts: 62

As procedure requires for a non-license to obtain an NFA weapon you must use an ATF Type 01, 02, 07 or 08 FFL who has an SOT endorsement of the appropriate type for their FFL (Class 1, 2 or 3) in your state of residence to obtain the NFA Weapon. And since it may take between two and five months for the Form to come back approved to the SOT; there may be enough time for you to pull it off if you time things right.
GunNut is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Non class 3 pkm?????????? HighPlainsDrifter Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 10 11-27-2010 03:07 AM
Special army unit ready to be deployed on American soil just before Nov. elections Bigcountry02 Politics, Religion and Controversy 17 04-14-2010 11:04 PM
Thank those deployed WDB The Club House 1 12-16-2009 01:42 AM
US Military Deployed on American Soil aoakley1 Politics, Religion and Controversy 9 03-20-2009 02:57 PM
Getting your Class 3 Sarge NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion 9 06-16-2007 02:34 AM