Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > C&R

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1459 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

One of the main reasons I have seen for people needing an additonal copy of their C & R license is they signed the original. Don't do that.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 08-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #22

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I signed the original. Will it change my number? And is the one I signed good for anything now?

Old 08-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8387 Times on 3629 Posts
Likes Given: 1291

I would scan the signed copy, and print copies. Also you can email a scanned FFL (perfectly legal). If anyone insists on the letter of the law, sign it a second time right below your first signature.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #24

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

So you should leave the original unsigned forever, make a bunch of copies and hand sign each one? Couldn't you just make 1 copy, sign the original and then make copies off the first copy? I just see the BATFE not liking that we don't sign our original if they come to look.. If they ever do.

And when u guys are out at a shop or gun show u just carry a copy with you? Don't really need the original for anything then lol

Old 08-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8387 Times on 3629 Posts
Likes Given: 1291

Hock- the process is supposed to be a give someone transferring gun to you a copy, said copy being signed in ink- so that while the document is a copy, the signature is an original on each one. You are NOT supposed to sign the original, and that is not a ding during an inspection. However, now that we are allowed to fax or email outr licenses, the "original signature" requirement is unofficially loosened up a bit.

And yeah, I keep 2 or 3 unsigned copies in my wallet. Targets of opportunity- in another town, drop by a gun shop, find one for my collection, take copy out and sign it right there.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I leave my original with my bound book in the original envelope it came in so I don't grab it and sign it by mistake. I make a bunch of copies and keep them with envelopes and address labels for sending out. Most to the people I buy from on Gunbroker or other places want payment in the form of postal money orders most of the time so I just grab a copy of my C&R, sign it, put it in an addressed envelope and run by the post office for a stamp and M.O. and done. I also keep copies with me all the time I'm out of town just in case.

P.S. I assume you know you need to keep a bound book.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 08-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #27

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1946
I leave my original with my bound book in the original envelope it came in so I don't grab it and sign it by mistake. I make a bunch of copies and keep them with envelopes and address labels for sending out. Most to the people I buy from on Gunbroker or other places want payment in the form of postal money orders most of the time so I just grab a copy of my C&R, sign it, put it in an addressed envelope and run by the post office for a stamp and M.O. and done. I also keep copies with me all the time I'm out of town just in case.

P.S. I assume you know you need to keep a bound book.
Yes I have a bound book. I just thought that you signed the original and made copies of it. I called ATF and talked to them about how to get a "new" one.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

A lot of people do that and its a wonder that I didn't.