Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > C&R

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Default C&R

So I'm thinking about getting my C&R, is there in "benefits" to having it other than the obvious? I have found old threads that talk about dealer prices at places like Midway and Brownells is this still true and what other reasons to get the C&R?

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8315 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Have had an 03 C&R FFL since 1976. The obvious benefit- a C&R firearm can be shipped directly to me, and does not need to go to an 01 Dealer for transfer to me. That saves $25-$50 per gun.

Second, I can acquire a C&R handgun when in another state (I travel a lot). Not even an 01 Dealer can do that. Visiting Denver, hit a gun show, nice Colt Woodsman- I can buy it and take it with me.

Third-buying at local dealer, no 4473, no wait to hear that I am cleared- dealer has copy of my FFL on file- writes on the receipt "C&R FFL on file". Transaction time is around 10-15 SECONDS. No state background check fee.

4th- I can buy directly from wholesalers.

5th- I get a 10% discount from Brownells, Numrich, etc.

For $30, what's not to love? PS- you DO stay broke!

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:20 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Can you elaborate on #4 I can buy from wholesalers? What can you buy from wholesalers and which ones do you prefer?

Old 07-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #4

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Pardon my ignorance but what does C&R stand for/what is it?

Old 07-08-2013, 01:53 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5803 Times on 3170 Posts
Likes Given: 10989

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcilten
Pardon my ignorance but what does C&R stand for/what is it?
Curio and relic

Q: What is a firearm curio or relic?
Firearm curios or relics include firearms which have special value to collectors because they possess some qualities not ordinarily associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:
Have been manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof; or
Be certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; or
Derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or from the fact of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

No offense and none taken

Old 07-08-2013, 02:29 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3624

Can you elaborate on #4 I can buy from wholesalers?
With my C & R, Ive bought guns from Southern Ohio Guns, J & G sales, and a couple others. At wholesale price. Shipped to my door.
One of my better buys was a Mosin hex receiver in great shape. Shipped to my door for $89.00
I was getting CZ-82s for less than $200.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #7

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool

Curio and relic

Q: What is a firearm curio or relic?
Firearm curios or relics include firearms which have special value to collectors because they possess some qualities not ordinarily associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:
Have been manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof; or
Be certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; or
Derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or from the fact of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.
Thanks! So basically it sounds like its geared specifically for collectors! That sounds like a great idea!

Old 07-10-2013, 02:08 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8315 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

That is exactly what it is for. A gun shop has an 01 Dealer's FFL. A Pawn shop has an 02 Pawnbroker's FFL. We have 03s- which is a Collector of Curio & Relic Firearms.

It is to aid in building and maintaining a collection. It does not affect modern day firearms. It is NOT to "engage in the business" of buying and selling ANY gun (altho we DO legally buy and sell guns)

It covers all guns 50 yrs old in their original configuration, and a few newer ones on a list published by the BATFE. Please note that the gun in hand must be 50 or older, NOT the model is 50 or older. A Winchester 94 made in 1950- C&R. Made last year- not.

Say you buy 4 guns a year that get shipped directly to you. Your $30 license is good for 3 years. Your local dealer charges a VERY reasonable $25 per gun to receive them for you. But your license allows them to come directly to you. Your $30 license just saved $300.

Couple of bits of misinformation you will hear- getting a C&R means the ATF can walk into your house at any time they want. False. You ARE subject to inspection no more than once a year (I have never been inspected, and if I do not sell a lot of guns, do not expect to be) HOWEVER- if I am selected for an inspection, I have the right to take my records and my guns to a local office designated by the BATFE, and have inspection done there.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

So I mailed the papers this morning. Now we sit back and wait......

Old 07-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

So how long should it take to get my ffl paperwork after they cash my check? It was cashed July 19.