Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Buying a Stripped Lower if I'm under 21

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 02:51 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
However, Bobby was with his father or other legal guardian, and his father was legally eligible to obtain the handgun as a gift for Bobby, his father would fill out Form 4473, undergo the NICS check, and assume legal responsibility for the transaction and the gun. Bobby’s father could truthfully complete the Form 4473 to indicate that he is the actual purchaser because he would take title to the weapon and then transfer the firearm to Bobby as a gift. From the ATF website:http://www.atf.gov/training/firearms/ffl-learning-theater/episode-4.html
Thank you. Now how would my mother go about transferring the lower to me?

Old 09-20-2012, 03:05 AM   #32

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwasrunning View Post
Thank you. Now how would my mother go about transferring the lower to me?
Here's my advice. Have your mom contact an ATF field office near you, they will have a better answer as each state may have laws added to federal laws. It really depends on the state. http://www.atf.gov/field/

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

orangello Likes This 
Old 09-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #33

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Either buy the lower assembled or wait, as others have posted.

I have an 007 FFL and if you buy and your Mother picks it up, it's a straw purchase, again, as others have posted. This puts her in line for a trip no one wants to take.

If she buys the lower, picks it up then gives it to you, she's breaking the law. It's illegal to transfer a handgun to anyone under 21. Being an unassigned receiver you're treading on dangerous ground.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision View Post
Either buy the lower assembled or wait, as others have posted.

I have an 007 FFL and if you buy and your Mother picks it up, it's a straw purchase, again, as others have posted. This puts her in line for a trip no one wants to take.

If she buys the lower, picks it up then gives it to you, she's breaking the law. It's illegal to transfer a handgun to anyone under 21. Being an unassigned receiver you're treading on dangerous ground.
Why would an assembled lower be any different? You still have to be 21 also can you post the link that says it can't be gifted. As stated his mother or father would have to buy it and gift it to him if it's not against state law. I posted the ATF link where it says a firearm can be gifted.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:

Last edited by silverado113; 09-21-2012 at 10:20 PM.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:40 AM   #35
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113

Sorry that's not true, plus not every state has a "registered" owner for firearms. Here is some motivating training...lol: http://www.atf.gov/training/firearms/ffl-learning-theater/swf/toon4.html
Silverado, just repeating what a Kalifornia IOI told me. In the scenario you list, the father legally owns and manages all of his son's time with the gun, therefore the son is never in control of the firearm himself. It was a little unclear, but I thought the OP was in a little different position.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-23-2012, 02:54 AM   #36

I think the whole thing is stupid. You can buy a fully assembled AR at 18 but not a lower. Gotta love the govt rules.

Member:

Old 09-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #37
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7659 Times on 4419 Posts
Likes Given: 9868

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Silverado, just repeating what a Kalifornia IOI told me. In the scenario you list, the father legally owns and manages all of his son's time with the gun, therefore the son is never in control of the firearm himself. It was a little unclear, but I thought the OP was in a little different position.
The OP is in Michigan so CA law has no bearing. Regardless, it is legal here in CA for a parent or legal guardian to purchase and gift firearms to their children.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 736 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Iwas,

Go over to Michigan Gun Owners forum, and ask your question in the legal beagle section. As I understand the law, IANAL, it is NOT a straw purchase between immediate family members if the 2nd person can legally own the firearm.

IRC, MI 18 year old's can legally own and purchase rifles, even from a FFL. They can legally own handguns purchased from private a private owner, they can not purchase from a FFL.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #39

Likes Given: 4

I'll be sure to do that. Thanks!

Old 09-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #40
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5109 Times on 2658 Posts
Likes Given: 310

If the parent buys it assembles as a rifle and then gifts it to the 18 year old no issues.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...