Buying a Stripped Lower if I'm under 21 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Buying a Stripped Lower if I'm under 21

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 04:50 AM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8843 Times on 5118 Posts
Likes Given: 11566

What if he bought a built lower with a rifle stock? Would that be considered a rifle by BATF?

OP: In any case if you pay for it and mom picks it up in her name that is a straw purchase. Some FFLs might think differently but it is better for both you and your mom to err on the side of caution. Your mom would have to buy it and gift it to you with no money changing hands as a part of the transaction.

Of course, the BATFE has no way of knowing about that few hundred dollars that you loaned your mom and forgot to get paid back for.........

Old 09-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1134 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
From what i understand the atf doesnt care what is written on the side other than the serial number. It can say anything and still be made into a rifle or pistol. A stripped reciever is still sold as an other whether it says deathstar laser cannon or rifle or bazooka its still not a rifle or pistol
Hmm this is very interesting because we were told these could not be used for pistol lowers

Old 09-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #13

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I receiver whether it is stripped or complete must be purchased by someone who is 21 according to my IOI. Same as a pistol grip shotgun (don't ask). Now your mother can purchase it and gift it to you as long as it is not against your state laws, I would check your state laws.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Hmm this is very interesting because we were told these could not be used for pistol lowers
Maybe that is that they cannot legally be used as pistol lowers but functionally there is no reason why not.

I figure the BATFE just hasn't updated their legal mumbo jumbo to account for modular firearms like the AR, and in all reality they should not. It is too complicated the way it is and leaves far too much up to interpretation by the individual. Present conversation illustrates that fact.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Maybe that is that they cannot legally be used as pistol lowers but functionally there is no reason why not.

I figure the BATFE just hasn't updated their legal mumbo jumbo to account for modular firearms like the AR, and in all reality they should not. It is too complicated the way it is and leaves far too much up to interpretation by the individual. Present conversation illustrates that fact.
They have no clue! I've talked to several other dealers and everyone gets a different answer from their IOIs, it's ridiculous

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:

Old 09-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #16

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Isn't it rather hypocritable that a Nation and it's States & Cities that can send an 18 year old man to fight the hated enemy in the Middle East and whom might even be murdered there by the so called Police & Troops of that country cannot be considered mature enough to buy a lower rifle part for himself without a hitch ? If he is man enough to send to war, he is man enough for anything !

NRA Lifer Since 1968
Former USMC
Former Texas NG

People Like This 
Old 09-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #17

Liked 1134 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

PSA has there Blem stripped lowers back on the board for $59 again

Old 09-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #18

What is an IOI?

It does not surprise me one bit though. As I said, it leaves a lot up to interpretation.

In my opinion, the OP, or any other 18-year-old legally able to own a long gun should be able to purchase the stripped lower as long as he purchases the rifle upper and buffer tube first. He could then assemble his legal long gun as he wished, but when he turns 21 then he could re-assemble it legally as a pistol if he chose to do so. The whole debate about the stripped lower being "other" is moot, as long as the under-21 purchaser is fully informed (perhaps in writing) that his lower cannot legally be assembled as a pistol until he is 21 it should all be OK.

Maybe run that one by the BATFE (would that be the IOI?)

Old 09-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
What is an IOI?

It does not surprise me one bit though. As I said, it leaves a lot up to interpretation.

In my opinion, the OP, or any other 18-year-old legally able to own a long gun should be able to purchase the stripped lower as long as he purchases the rifle upper and buffer tube first. He could then assemble his legal long gun as he wished, but when he turns 21 then he could re-assemble it legally as a pistol if he chose to do so. The whole debate about the stripped lower being "other" is moot, as long as the under-21 purchaser is fully informed (perhaps in writing) that his lower cannot legally be assembled as a pistol until he is 21 it should all be OK.

Maybe run that one by the BATFE (would that be the IOI?)
Industry Operations Investigator, they are the guys and gals that come around and make sure us dealers are behaving.

Member:

Old 09-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #20
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1337 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 612

ANY purchase wherein the registered owner is not the actual user/purchaser is legally a "Straw Buy." Anytime two people are involved in a purchase they both risk 5-7 years in sunny Leavenworth, Kansas, Especially not worth it when it involves family.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)