Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Buying a Stripped Lower if I'm under 21

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 04:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 4

Default Buying a Stripped Lower if I'm under 21

Im looking to build my first AR 15. Problem is I'm 18. I realize it is illegal for me to buy stripped lower from a FFL dealer. However, I was wondering if it would be legal for me to buy the stripped lower online with my debit card, but have my mom pick it up from the FFL dealer and pay for the transfer?

If it helps any I am a Michigan resident.

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 180 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Then i assume when your mom picks it up from your ffl/lgs, it will be registered under her name?. Who's buying and paying it online is not important. Whose name it will be registered is the important part. Just becareful that your mom won't fall into "straw purchase" thing.
Correct me if i'm wrong.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #3

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

No, you can't do this. This is considered a straw purchase. You personally purchasing the lower, and having your mother get it for you is prohibited unless she purchases it, keeps it under her name, and you leave it in the house you should be fine.

Check local laws also.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #4

Liked 1689 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 354

If you are under 21 but at least 18 you can buy your buttstock assembly that you plan to use and let the shop install it before they sell it to you. This makes it a rifle at the time of sale and legal for an 18 year old to buy. Converting a rifle to a pistol afterward would be illegal.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #5

So basically it would be much easier if i had my mom pay for it online as well as pick it up, but I just pay her back?

Old 09-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #6

Liked 4451 Times on 2349 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
If you are under 21 but at least 18 you can buy your buttstock assembly that you plan to use and let the shop install it before they sell it to you. This makes it a rifle at the time of sale and legal for an 18 year old to buy. Converting a rifle to a pistol afterward would be illegal.
thats not legal to do its called manufacturing. the shop has to have the proper license to manufacture firearms which isnt your typical FFL. thats why you dont see shops doing that all the time.

if a person purchases a stripped lower fills out the paperwork as such then hands the lower immediately afterwards to the shop to install a stock or LPK its gunsmithing. but they cant legally sell a stripped lower and register it as a rifle at time of sale. what you do with it and who you pay to help you put the parts together is your business once its in your name. so you gotta wait to build until your 21 as you cannot legally take possesion in sale of a stripped lower.

parents buying guns for their children is a grey area that can be interpreted in many ways. doing this puts you at the mercy of whatever federal goon of a district attourney or goon of a state attourney wants to charge you and your parent. not a good idea.

buy a full rifle under 21 or wait time until your legal.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 09-18-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
Retired

Liked 2268 Times on 1357 Posts
Likes Given: 1058

Because some stripped lowers can be assembled as pistols, the sale to anyone under the age of 21 is forbidden.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 09-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #8

Liked 977 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 1770

Buy a LRB stripped lower , Its stamped US Rifle on the lower and it cannot be used as a pistol lower . I know this for a fact because we bought 50 of these for a group buy and some of the guys were not happy that they could not be registered as pistols but for the price they paid they didnt say a word . That takes care of your age problem and it not being registered as a pistol Hope that helps and I believe Rainier Arms has these in stock and on sale for $99

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1417

Last edited by purehavoc; 09-18-2012 at 03:18 PM.
iwasrunning Likes This 
Old 09-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #9

Thank you very much for all your help. It is much appreciated.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:38 AM   #10

Liked 4451 Times on 2349 Posts
Likes Given: 254

From what i understand the atf doesnt care what is written on the side other than the serial number. It can say anything and still be made into a rifle or pistol. A stripped reciever is still sold as an other whether it says deathstar laser cannon or rifle or bazooka its still not a rifle or pistol

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...