Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Buying guns online (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/buying-guns-online-43023/)

Garadex 05-26-2011 04:46 AM

Buying guns online

Is it necessary to have an FFL to legally buy any sort of gun online?

CA357 05-26-2011 04:51 AM

You don't have to have an FFL, but you must have it shipped to an FFL.

goretro77 05-26-2011 05:07 AM

^^^ Yes to the above, I suggest to notify your FFL guy that your bidding just so head/she get a heads up. If you win the auction, the FFL will have to fax/mail a copy of their license to that seller, the seller will only ship to the address on that FFL license.

T

c3shooter 05-26-2011 12:53 PM

There are Federal laws, and state laws. Bottom line- with VERY few exceptions, when the ownership of a modern firearm is transferred across a state line, it must go TO a FFL holder in your home state. They charge varying fees to receive and transfer, anywhere from $25-$100. The seller ships the gun to a licensed dealer. You go to dealer, do the same paperwork as if buying gun from that dealer. He does same background check as if you were buying from him. You pay him for his time, take gun, go home.

This applies to guns made later than 1898. Before that, they are antiques, and may be shipped directly to you in MOST states. Guns that use loose ball and powder are antiques without regard to when made.

If you need to find a dealer to receive a firearm, gunbroker.com and auctionarms,come has a "find a ffl" function on their home pages. Put in your zip code, and dealers that have registered as being willing to do transfers pops up.

There is also a FFL available to people that are collectors, and are not "in the business" of buying and selling guns. Known as an 03 Curio & Relic FFL (dealers have an 01 FFL) it permits you to have shipped directly to you firearms that are 50 years old, or older. License costs $30 for 3 years, simple appication, must be 21 yrs old.

Get one, you will stay broke but happy. I'm in VA, find a nice M1 Carbine in Oregon. I send seller a signed copy of my FFL, and payment. He puts rifle in mail to me. Mailman brings to my door. I unwrap, rub hands in glee, scurry off to the range.

Garadex 05-26-2011 03:33 PM

Thank you for the answers. I guess I'll just have to find and pay a dealer then. (Don't feel like doing paperwork for awhile)

suarezcm 09-30-2011 09:22 PM

Good Info

Quote:

Originally Posted by goretro77 (Post 512129)
^^^ Yes to the above, I suggest to notify your FFL guy that your bidding just so head/she get a heads up. If you win the auction, the FFL will have to fax/mail a copy of their license to that seller, the seller will only ship to the address on that FFL license.

T

Good info on heads up!
Thanx

sigp250 10-04-2011 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garadex (Post 512120)
Is it necessary to have an FFL to legally buy any sort of gun online?

Usually firearms purchased on-line must be transfered to an FFL in your home state. There are some exceptions for C&R license holders. This is up to the discretion of the FFL seller.

We sell some used surplus hand guns that are listed as C&R but due to date, caliber and various State regulations, they may still be considered firearms and therefore must be transfered to an FFL dealer.

suarezcm 10-05-2011 01:09 PM

C&R

Awaiting my C&R now!!!