Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > buying a firearm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default buying a firearm

A friend on mine wants to sell me his bolt action rifle. how do we legally go about doing this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #2

Liked 1121 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 276

In my world, he hands you the rifle, you hand him the cash, you smile, shake hands and say thanks.

That is completely legal in my state. Go online and check your States gun laws, it may be just that easy for you too.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Chainfire's method works well in Texas also. Not sure about your state but you sure don't want to go against any state laws.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #4

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Yeah it's a state law thing. Most public libraries have state codes in their own little separate research room. In many states though, it goes exactly as described above.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2655 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

Welcome to the forum. When you have a chance, stop in the "Introductions" area.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8427 Times on 3654 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Michigan Gun Laws - What are the Gun Laws in Michigan?

So long as it is a long gun, you are at least 18, and you both reside in MI, there is no registration process, no permit to possess, etc. HANDGUNS ARE TREATED DIFFERENTLY in mi.

As already said, transfer of ownership between two private persons is governed by State law. Transfer between a FFL holder (dealer) and you is governed by Fed law, as is a transfer between residents of 2 different states.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 10-12-2011, 11:36 PM   #7

Liked 116 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Michigan Gun Laws - What are the Gun Laws in Michigan?

So long as it is a long gun, you are at least 18, and you both reside in MI, there is no registration process, no permit to possess, etc. HANDGUNS ARE TREATED DIFFERENTLY in mi.

As already said, transfer of ownership between two private persons is governed by State law. Transfer between a FFL holder (dealer) and you is governed by Fed law, as is a transfer between residents of 2 different states.
Yep,I live in Michigan and know a bit about how it works,there really are no "enforceable"laws when it comes to the private sale of any firearm 30"+,you could throw your rifle off a bridge and watch someone grab it up and you wouldn't be legally responsible to report it or do anything.Now for handguns-Michigan is nuts,70%+ on a test and the NICS check at the cop shop,AND mandatory registration of your permit to local and state police,plus you can't as much as lend your handgun to a friend to use hunting or at a shooting range,even if he's 21 and has a clean record(thank's Detroit and Flint for screwing with the rest of this friendly wooded hunting wonderland)

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves