Buying A .45 Osprey Suppressor But A Little Disappointed Before I Get It - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Buying A .45 Osprey Suppressor But A Little Disappointed Before I Get It

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryevick View Post
what adapter? i shouldn't need one... it's threaded to the same specs as my barrel
you need one of these... http://www.superiorsilence.com/collections/shop-silencerco/products/osprey-pistons

it fits in the Osprey and allows the locking mechanism to let you align the silencer with your gun frame, and has the threads for your barrel type.

You just have to make sure you order the right one for your gun, they run in the $80. ball park...

The plus on this system is not all Barrels are threaded the same (different thread pitch, different barrel dia,) and with the adapter you can use your Osprey in a variety of firearms.
One would think with what the Osprey costs they would give you one for free....

Kind of hard to fit the first time as the instructions are kind of vague on installing it but once you get it in you will go well duh...

Last edited by 2manyhobbies; 03-21-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies View Post
you need one of these... http://www.superiorsilence.com/collections/shop-silencerco/products/osprey-pistons

it fits in the Osprey and allows the locking mechanism to let you align the silencer with your gun frame, and has the threads for your barrel type.

You just have to make sure you order the right one for your gun, they run in the $80. ball park...

The plus on this system is not all Barrels are threaded the same (different thread pitch, different barrel dia,) and with the adapter you can use your Osprey in a variety of firearms.
One would think with what the Osprey costs they would give you one for free....

Kind of hard to fit the first time as the instructions are kind of vague on installing it but once you get it in you will go well duh...
Not too sure about that info... when I was filling out paperwork with an ATF agent at the store, I asked him about alignment when threading the suppressor on to my 1911 and he showed me the built in "lock" made into the suppressor... I think I'm good, he seemed VERY knowledgeable on suppressors but I will double check... if you read the description of the link you just provided it even says that is so you can use the suppressor on different firearms if you purchase that to fit the firearm you want to put it on... I am guessing you are using unneeded gear... take it off your firearm and try it without it...

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Last edited by ryevick; 03-22-2013 at 06:06 AM.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Not too sure about that info... when I was filling out paperwork with an ATF agent at the store, I asked him about alignment when threading the suppressor on to my 1911 and he showed me the built in "lock" made into the suppressor... I think I'm good, he seemed VERY knowledgeable on suppressors but I will double check... if you read the description of the link you just provided it even says that is so you can use the suppressor on different firearms if you purchase that to fit the firearm you want to put it on... I am guessing you are using unneeded gear... take it off your firearm and try it without it...
Um got one, had to buy it (the piston), the locking mechanism is just that and requires the piston to screw onto your gun barrel.

If he is the best in the store I think I would be looking for a new expert real soon.

Yes you will need it that is unless the store is going to give you one for free...

Different guns, different thread pitches, further some are RHT some LHT, rather than make a suppressor for each gun they make an adapter that must be purchased to be used...

Just a thought but You may wish to take the advice of the BTDT group a bit more seriously....

I can say is this for sure, if you do not buy the piston in advance, that after waiting the 6 months for the tax stamp to arrive, you will end up waiting a week or more for the store to order your piston before you can use it...

Last edited by 2manyhobbies; 03-22-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5915 Times on 3087 Posts
Likes Given: 415

if you order straight from silencerco you will have it in a couple of days. stores generally have to wait until distributers have things in stock.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

ryevick Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Just a thought but You may wish to take the advice of the BTDT group a bit more seriously....
Not sure quite what you were unable to grasp when I said I would double check on it. But just because some one is able to punch keys on a keyboard does not mean I will take what they say as law without double checking it for myself no matter how needful their self image may be If your right, your right. If I have to wait, I will wait... patience is not a flaw for me personally... but once again thanks for the info.

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Last edited by ryevick; 03-22-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Not sure quite what you were unable to grasp when I said I would double check on it. But just because some one is able to punch keys on a keyboard does not mean I will take what they say as law without double checking it for myself no matter how needful their self image may be If your right, your right. If I have to wait, I will wait... patience is not a flaw for me personally... but once again thanks for the info.
Patience I must admit is not one of my virtues

I just know that were I to have waited the 6 months for the tax stamp, finally getting the much anticipated call that it was here and I could pick it up... only to find my brand new toy was useless until they could receive the much needed part I would have been bent.

Thanks JonM for the idea.. my gun shop took several weeks to get the psiton in, yours is a signifantly faster method.

Time for me from when I ordered the Osprey due to the rush as MI had just given the go for suppressors, it took over 5 months just for them to get it in... It took so long I decided (glad I did) filed and did an NFA so next time things will hopefully go faster

Once the Osprey arrived and could get the serial numbers to file with the ATF, I spent some time on multiple silencer forums. Where I was dismayed to find out from the BTDT groups I still needed a piston for the Osprey. Which I confirmed with the gun shop (I wonder when they planed on telling me this), ordered one, two weeks and $80 later I had one.

Add all that together and you hit real close to a year from the time I stepped in the gun shop to me bringing it home, and like I said had I been made to wait two more weeks I would not have been a happy camper....

One final thought on your resident expert... If he still insists it will work with out the pistion.... Make him show you how it will fit a store gun with one from the show case....

Either way you will love it once your tax stamp arrives and you get to play.

As to your "needful self image" comment... Spent over 30 years as a Fire Marshall, it was an continuous learning experience but early on one thing I learned in the game was you cannot possibly know everything. So when in doubt find the BTDT group and go for a chat, pay attention, as they may just save me some time and I can profit by their mistakes and make my own instead....

Be safe and be sure and give us a report when yours arrives.

Last edited by 2manyhobbies; 03-23-2013 at 10:47 PM.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #27

Quote:
It took so long I decided (glad I did) filed and did an NFA so next time things will hopefully go faster
What do you mean by this? I'm not sure what "Did an NFA" means.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:52 AM   #28

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Well, as I stated before the ATF agent I have been dealing with IS very knowledgeable and I talked with him on the phone and he said the piston that was referenced is already included with my silencer, so he was correct, I don't need anything else but the recommendation for the piston is also correct... looks like I just got a good deal... .45 Osprey with the piston for $680 shipped!

Old 03-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #29

Quote:
Well, as I stated before the ATF agent I have been dealing with IS very knowledgeable and I talked with him on the phone and he said the piston that was referenced is already included with my silencer, so he was correct, I don't need anything else but the recommendation for the piston is also correct... looks like I just got a good deal... .45 Osprey with the piston for $680 shipped!
WOW you stole it!!! That is a fantastic deal with out a doubt

NFA is a trust drawn up by a lawyer that ownership is shared among a group of people with a primary (you), so if anything happens to you your heirs do not have to go though all the issues of the 6 month background and another $200 tax stamp. Yes there is some paperwork that must be filed but your heirs have it much easer, and you can set it up so more Class III items such as more silencers, or full auto are able to added at a later date of purchase.

One more huge plus is no LEO sign off is required when you file an NFA.

Should you decide to have an NFA trust drawn up be sure you go to pro gun legal counsel that has BTDT, it usually costs about $300 for the paperwork if they have done it before as all they have to do is some cut n paste with your information on a form they have already compiled.

The NFA must be filed with your county register at the court house ($25.) to validate, (KEEP THE ORIGINALS) copies must be sent to the ATF when you file for your tax stamp.

Extra work and expense, sure but then anyone on the trust can legally use what ever is in the trust, they will simply need a copy of or the original tax stamp and form on them (as you do) anytime it is in their (or your) possession.

Caveat possession of any Class III with out the paper work is a felony, whether you own it or not!

I do not recommend you carry the bulky paperwork, and only a legible copy is required, I went to Staples, had them make me a two sided miniature color copy that I had sealed in plastic for wallet carry....

Last edited by 2manyhobbies; 03-28-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #30

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I did a trust with the 2009 version of Quicken Willmaker, took about 15-20 minutes and cost about $10... he said it was perfect... so after the tax stamp and an $80 transfer which was more than I was told when I called it comes to a total of $970.00

2manyhobbies Likes This