Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Buying A .45 Osprey Suppressor But A Little Disappointed Before I Get It

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5244 Times on 2735 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryevick View Post
if you watch both video clips i linked it's the same 45 suppressor but night and day difference in the decibel levels... the second one is really suppressed with no hearing protection needed... i suppose the louder first video is a new one and the second one has "build up" helping the suppression is all i can figure...

also the company from the first video has them in stock at a good price too...
there is no real standard for suppressed firearms testing it depends on the tester and the location. under cover in certain areas the accustics can be bad and shooting my scar17 supressed can be quite loud in more open terrain all you hear is the slamming of the action going back forth and the loud crack of the supersonic 308 going down range. i can tell you shooting indoors on a indoor range surpressed vs non supressed is sometimes hard to tell the diff. get outside exact same gun and ammo its amazing how quiet it actually is.

Quote:
i've heard gel is not recommended as it will gunk up the suppressor in a bad way and hard to clean it out
i dont use either in mine i tried water as a lark but i dont like messes so i run em dry. you did make a great choice on the osprey. videos dont lend well to listening to the difference between supressed and non supressed firearms. if they did you would have to wear hearing protection when watching clips of nonsupressed guns being fired...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

sputnik1988 Likes This 
Old 12-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #12

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

I got my 9mm can a few months ago. I load my own subsonic rounds with VV 320. The suppressed shots are hearing safe but do get louder indoors or between the berms at the outdoor range. I can go outside my house and shoot and my wife cannot hear it inside.
My neighbor has a boxer that barks a lot and that can be heard everywhere in the house and the dog is 300' away.
Cans make a huge difference. I have yet to regret mine and have more on the way.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

i'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the logic of it all... why would being indoors so greatly reduce the ability of the suppressor to perform... i understand why unsuppressed fire greatly increases in volume indoors but not suppressed... i mean going from the differences between to two videos i linked just because one was indoors just doesn't seem logical... i suppose i will just have to wait until i get the suppressor and see for myself... i hate it though because the main reason i bought the threaded barrel 1911 was of course for a suppressor but to be used as a bedside hd weapon, God forbid i ever have to use it... my hearing is shot with major tinnitus... i suppose i need to find the ammo that would could be suppressed the most but still be effective in an hd situation... suggestions on that would be appreciated...

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 12-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5244 Times on 2735 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Quote:
i'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the logic of it all... why would being indoors so greatly reduce the ability of the suppressor to perform... i understand why unsuppressed fire greatly increases in volume indoors but not suppressed... i mean going from the differences between to two videos i linked just because one was indoors just doesn't seem logical... i suppose i will just have to wait until i get the suppressor and see for myself... i hate it though because the main reason i bought the threaded barrel 1911 was of course for a suppressor but to be used as a bedside hd weapon, God forbid i ever have to use it... my hearing is shot with major tinnitus... i suppose i need to find the ammo that would could be suppressed the most but still be effective in an hd situation... suggestions on that would be appreciated...
its the same thing as firing unsuppressed indoors vs out. surpressed indoors is louder than supressed outdoor to your ears. 45acp in 230grain is an ideal suppressor bullet loading because its subsonic without any messing around.

its hard to describe without experiencing shooting one. ive fired my ar15 surpressed indoors and its not bad at all. firing one indoors unsuppressed without hearing protection is ungodly.

the reduction of sound volume is enourmous and it really tames that concussive blast of the 45auto cartridge

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

ryevick Likes This 
Old 12-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
its the same thing as firing unsuppressed indoors vs out. surpressed indoors is louder than supressed outdoor to your ears. 45acp in 230grain is an ideal suppressor bullet loading because its subsonic without any messing around.

its hard to describe without experiencing shooting one. ive fired my ar15 surpressed indoors and its not bad at all. firing one indoors unsuppressed without hearing protection is ungodly.

the reduction of sound volume is enourmous and it really tames that concussive blast of the 45auto cartridge
maybe if i stacked a couple of suppressors in a row firing through a few potatoes and pillows i could finally have something that would be kind to my ears indoors i really am bummed about all this... i probably wouldn't have bothered if i would've known all this before...

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 12-23-2012, 01:39 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

i will be optimistic though... it's got good reviews even in this thread... i was told the gov't has just doubled the staff that is filing the paperwork for suppressors so the time frame should be cut in half to about 3 months instead of 6... kind of interesting though don't you think that the obama administration allowed that? things just are never what they seem to be...

Last edited by ryevick; 12-23-2012 at 06:20 AM.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

i was really tired when i read this post from you... i completely misread it... good to know...

Old 01-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #18

Liked 43 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 105

don't believe the video....

I have an Osprey on my HK USP full sized .45 acp and the gun is so quiet at the range you mostly only hear the action operate.

just a real light pop on the first round and once the O2 is depleted in the chambers it is nothing more than the clack of the action operating....

Oh an do not forget to buy the thread adapter before you take delivery.... It's kind of a pain to install but once you grasp the concept is is kinda easy.

Somebody asked about "WET SUPPRESSORS" some may require you to slosh water around inside them for maximum effect, and to help protect the baffle media... the Osprey is not one of these animals.
Although it is not recommended can be dissembled for cleaning, according to what I have read after 500,000 rounds you may wish to but it is not necessary...

Last edited by 2manyhobbies; 01-04-2013 at 04:03 PM.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #19

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
I'm buying a .45 Osprey suppressor for my Sig Sauer 1911 Tacops TB after many recommendations on the Osprey... I just paid for the suppressor this afternoon even though they wont get it shipped until next week sometime after Christmas. I should have done this before but I just ran across a video here demonstrating the Osprey and I must say it's a little disappointing... it cut down the db's only by about 30 but it's still averaging 135/6 db which is equivalent to a VERY loud stereo... not exactly subtle or even to the point that I wont still need ear protection when using it... really bummed out about this ... this is what was so highly recommended?!? I did see videos like this also that show more of what I'm looking for. I assume the first video is not sub-sonic ammo and the second is? He didn't say if it was wet or not. What ammo specs qualifies as sub-sonic?
It's a good suppressor, though slab sided, not round and will fit in a holster.A 30 db reduction is about all you can expect form most suppressors..most 45 cans are normally wet suppressors and require an ablative (heat dissapating agent) for max sound reduction.
Personally, I prefer the Gemtech Blackside 45 suppressor...the best in the business

Old 03-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies View Post
Oh an do not forget to buy the thread adapter before you take delivery.... It's kind of a pain to install but once you grasp the concept is is kinda easy.
what adapter? i shouldn't need one... it's threaded to the same specs as my barrel