Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Buying A .45 Osprey Suppressor But A Little Disappointed Before I Get It

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default Buying A .45 Osprey Suppressor But A Little Disappointed Before I Get It

I'm buying a .45 Osprey suppressor for my Sig Sauer 1911 Tacops TB after many recommendations on the Osprey... I just paid for the suppressor this afternoon even though they wont get it shipped until next week sometime after Christmas. I should have done this before but I just ran across a video here demonstrating the Osprey and I must say it's a little disappointing... it cut down the db's only by about 30 but it's still averaging 135/6 db which is equivalent to a VERY loud stereo... not exactly subtle or even to the point that I wont still need ear protection when using it... really bummed out about this ... this is what was so highly recommended?!? I did see videos like this also that show more of what I'm looking for. I assume the first video is not sub-sonic ammo and the second is? He didn't say if it was wet or not. What ammo specs qualifies as sub-sonic?

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Last edited by ryevick; 12-22-2012 at 07:16 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #2

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Subsonic is less than 1126 feet per second.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8307 Times on 3590 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Most .45 ACP fired from a handgun or SMG is subsonic. Have you checked the specs for other brands?

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #4

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Opps-.............
Just uppin my post count

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 12-22-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5101 Times on 2651 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Decibel reduction isnt linear as in 1 to 1 it works more like the fuschita earthquake scale. Most other brands offer less than 30 decibel reduction when run wet. Then there is the little problem of first round pop in any surpressor. Its not like in the movies where all you hear is this idiotic whizz. It still sounds like a gunshot just not a very loud one.

The osprey is one of the better handgun suppressors out there ive seen em used in person and ive been lusting after em i think your damn lucky to be getting one. Everytime i find one its been sold before i could finish the order.

Ive got two suppressors a surefire for 308 or rather my wife has it and a silencerco sparrow.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Decibel reduction isnt linear as in 1 to 1 it works more like the fuschita earthquake scale. Most other brands offer less than 30 decibel reduction when run wet. Then there is the little problem of first round pop in any surpressor. Its not like in the movies where all you hear is this idiotic whizz. It still sounds like a gunshot just not a very loud one.

The osprey is one of the better handgun suppressors out there ive seen em used in person and ive been lusting after em i think your damn lucky to be getting one. Everytime i find one its been sold before i could finish the order.

Ive got two suppressors a surefire for 308 or rather my wife has it and a silencerco sparrow.
What do you mean by running wet? Lubrication?

Old 12-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5101 Times on 2651 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Its where the term wetwork comes from. Put a little water in a suppressor and shake it out then its stupid quiet for a couple of shots. Wire pulling gel is often used nowadays instead of water. It lasts longer and doesnt get into the barrel of the gun.

Ive tried it a couple times and its a huge difference but a pain in the butt to keep doing it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:

if you watch both video clips i linked it's the same 45 suppressor but night and day difference in the decibel levels... the second one is really suppressed with no hearing protection needed... i suppose the louder first video is a new one and the second one has "build up" helping the suppression is all i can figure...

also the company from the first video has them in stock at a good price too...

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Last edited by ryevick; 12-22-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Most .45 ACP fired from a handgun or SMG is subsonic. Have you checked the specs for other brands?
not yet... i will though...

Old 12-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Its where the term wetwork comes from. Put a little water in a suppressor and shake it out then its stupid quiet for a couple of shots. Wire pulling gel is often used nowadays instead of water. It lasts longer and doesnt get into the barrel of the gun.

Ive tried it a couple times and its a huge difference but a pain in the butt to keep doing it.
i've heard gel is not recommended as it will gunk up the suppressor in a bad way and hard to clean it out