Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Buying A .45 Osprey Suppressor But A Little Disappointed Before I Get It (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/buying-45-osprey-suppressor-but-little-disappointed-before-i-get-79132/)

ryevick 12-22-2012 07:05 AM

Buying A .45 Osprey Suppressor But A Little Disappointed Before I Get It

I'm buying a .45 Osprey suppressor for my Sig Sauer 1911 Tacops TB after many recommendations on the Osprey... I just paid for the suppressor this afternoon even though they wont get it shipped until next week sometime after Christmas. I should have done this before but I just ran across a video here demonstrating the Osprey and I must say it's a little disappointing... it cut down the db's only by about 30 but it's still averaging 135/6 db which is equivalent to a VERY loud stereo... not exactly subtle or even to the point that I wont still need ear protection when using it... really bummed out about this :( ... this is what was so highly recommended?!? I did see videos like this also that show more of what I'm looking for. I assume the first video is not sub-sonic ammo and the second is? He didn't say if it was wet or not. What ammo specs qualifies as sub-sonic?

willfully armed 12-22-2012 07:24 AM

Subsonic is less than 1126 feet per second.

c3shooter 12-22-2012 09:51 AM

Most .45 ACP fired from a handgun or SMG is subsonic. Have you checked the specs for other brands?

HOSSFLY 12-22-2012 12:49 PM

Opps-.............
Just uppin my post count :o

JonM 12-22-2012 01:08 PM

Decibel reduction isnt linear as in 1 to 1 it works more like the fuschita earthquake scale. Most other brands offer less than 30 decibel reduction when run wet. Then there is the little problem of first round pop in any surpressor. Its not like in the movies where all you hear is this idiotic whizz. It still sounds like a gunshot just not a very loud one.

The osprey is one of the better handgun suppressors out there ive seen em used in person and ive been lusting after em i think your damn lucky to be getting one. Everytime i find one its been sold before i could finish the order.

Ive got two suppressors a surefire for 308 or rather my wife has it and a silencerco sparrow.

crazycharlie2 12-22-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1061867)
Decibel reduction isnt linear as in 1 to 1 it works more like the fuschita earthquake scale. Most other brands offer less than 30 decibel reduction when run wet. Then there is the little problem of first round pop in any surpressor. Its not like in the movies where all you hear is this idiotic whizz. It still sounds like a gunshot just not a very loud one.

The osprey is one of the better handgun suppressors out there ive seen em used in person and ive been lusting after em i think your damn lucky to be getting one. Everytime i find one its been sold before i could finish the order.

Ive got two suppressors a surefire for 308 or rather my wife has it and a silencerco sparrow.

What do you mean by running wet? Lubrication?

JonM 12-22-2012 01:31 PM

Its where the term wetwork comes from. Put a little water in a suppressor and shake it out then its stupid quiet for a couple of shots. Wire pulling gel is often used nowadays instead of water. It lasts longer and doesnt get into the barrel of the gun.

Ive tried it a couple times and its a huge difference but a pain in the butt to keep doing it.

ryevick 12-22-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1061867)

if you watch both video clips i linked it's the same 45 suppressor but night and day difference in the decibel levels... the second one is really suppressed with no hearing protection needed... i suppose the louder first video is a new one and the second one has "build up" helping the suppression is all i can figure...

also the company from the first video has them in stock at a good price too...

ryevick 12-22-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1061766)
Most .45 ACP fired from a handgun or SMG is subsonic. Have you checked the specs for other brands?

not yet... i will though...

ryevick 12-22-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1061891)
Its where the term wetwork comes from. Put a little water in a suppressor and shake it out then its stupid quiet for a couple of shots. Wire pulling gel is often used nowadays instead of water. It lasts longer and doesnt get into the barrel of the gun.

Ive tried it a couple times and its a huge difference but a pain in the butt to keep doing it.

i've heard gel is not recommended as it will gunk up the suppressor in a bad way and hard to clean it out