business notion - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion >

business notion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 04:37 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Selling kits for black powder firearms is a poor choice for starting a firearms business. Anyone can go on line and buy these kits or completed guns without an FFL. In most states they can be shipped to your front door. The High end kits such as Jim Chambers sells are highly specialized. The production kits mostly imports are in a highly competitive market and yield very low margins.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:37 AM   #32
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I do know how to shop. I can get any gun cheaper at buds out the door, including the FFL. Plus, I don't have to drive for an hour.

Lawmens is as high as perry's. When I was working downtown lawmens never acted like they wanted my business. I don't feel like I have to earn a deal with a gun shop. They have to earn my business.

When I bought my BAR back in the 80's I tried everywhere in the triangle to get a BAR. Every shop wanted over $1,000. I ended up buying a BAR made in Belgium in LA for $600. The same shop had the new BAR for around the same price.

You might want to take some shopping lessons.
far be it for me to tell you how to shop and how you conduct your business is you own affair. but buying from a local or semi-local LGS is about building a relationship with a business, just like you would for car repair or the place you buy your clothes. i drive close to an hour to get to the LGS i use the most.

building a relationship takes two people to do as well, and this applies to doing business with people too. getting the good deals and discounts takes time. they aren't going to throw them at you the first time you walk through the door. in a way, i agree a business needs to earn a person's business, but that is a two way street as well. you need to earn the privelage of getting good deals and discounts by being a loyal customer. i remained loyal to my LGS last year during the panic bcause my LGS cared about their customers and didn't gouge us. they only raised prices as much as needed to offset the differences they were paying. my LGS even reserved ammo for me as well.

i get some perks at my LGS i seriously doubt you get from any online retailers. my LGS will call me up when something comes in that he thinksi might be interested in or was looking for. he sells most of his guns at about 20-25% under MSRP. some he is locked into certain price structures per being a dealer. i can buy most ammo at little over the same cost as i would pay at WalMart. he now will do my FFL transfers for free. he will do his level best to special order anything i might be interested in.

i feel i get much better service from my LGS than you probably get from your online retailers. but i usually spend the better part of the day when i go, because it does take almost an hour to get there. i usually have made a list of things i need to stock up on, especially powders and primers so i save hazmat fees. i browse theused guns that were traded in and anything new to the gun scene that has arrived. pick up all sorts of new information and visit with friendsi have made there at the shop.

maybe such things are not important to you and maybe just saving a couple of bucks is your main priority in life. then to each his own. but i do tend to be a major pain in the azz and more than occasionally climb up on my high horse and haven't really cared what strangers think of me in many years. i seriously doubt i am about to change anytime soon either. i have been outspoken and vocal about my opinions and call things the way i see them. i also tend to chalenge things i either disagree with or find fault with or i know for a fact is wrong. and if people get their feelings hurt from being challenged, then so be it. just because people post things on the forum, doesn't mean i accept it without proof or verification and i am not in the least bit shy asking for that proof or facts or some sort of supporting outside source. i have been this way on the forums for some time now and i am the same way in life. i am not changing to make someone else feel special or that i automatically accept what they say.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:02 AM   #33

Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

We have a very fine LGS. I am a regular down there. They stock over 1,200 hundred firearms and reloading equipment. When the shortages were going on they made sure their regulars got powder and .22 ammo etc. The company buyer is always asking the customers what they would like to see on the shelves.
I suppose if I had been around 100 years ago we would have done are "Haggling" around the cracker barrel.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #34

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
far be it for me to tell you how to shop and how you conduct your business is you own affair. but buying from a local or semi-local LGS is about building a relationship with a business, just like you would for car repair or the place you buy your clothes. i drive close to an hour to get to the LGS i use the most.

building a relationship takes two people to do as well, and this applies to doing business with people too. getting the good deals and discounts takes time. they aren't going to throw them at you the first time you walk through the door. in a way, i agree a business needs to earn a person's business, but that is a two way street as well. you need to earn the privelage of getting good deals and discounts by being a loyal customer. i remained loyal to my LGS last year during the panic bcause my LGS cared about their customers and didn't gouge us. they only raised prices as much as needed to offset the differences they were paying. my LGS even reserved ammo for me as well.

i get some perks at my LGS i seriously doubt you get from any online retailers. my LGS will call me up when something comes in that he thinksi might be interested in or was looking for. he sells most of his guns at about 20-25% under MSRP. some he is locked into certain price structures per being a dealer. i can buy most ammo at little over the same cost as i would pay at WalMart. he now will do my FFL transfers for free. he will do his level best to special order anything i might be interested in.

i feel i get much better service from my LGS than you probably get from your online retailers. but i usually spend the better part of the day when i go, because it does take almost an hour to get there. i usually have made a list of things i need to stock up on, especially powders and primers so i save hazmat fees. i browse theused guns that were traded in and anything new to the gun scene that has arrived. pick up all sorts of new information and visit with friendsi have made there at the shop.

maybe such things are not important to you and maybe just saving a couple of bucks is your main priority in life. then to each his own. but i do tend to be a major pain in the azz and more than occasionally climb up on my high horse and haven't really cared what strangers think of me in many years. i seriously doubt i am about to change anytime soon either. i have been outspoken and vocal about my opinions and call things the way i see them. i also tend to chalenge things i either disagree with or find fault with or i know for a fact is wrong. and if people get their feelings hurt from being challenged, then so be it. just because people post things on the forum, doesn't mean i accept it without proof or verification and i am not in the least bit shy asking for that proof or facts or some sort of supporting outside source. i have been this way on the forums for some time now and i am the same way in life. i am not changing to make someone else feel special or that i automatically accept what they say.

Getting the best price is my main concern in any business transaction. If I have to get reamed several times to get the best price from a shop I am not going to get the best price. If I liked a business that much I would just walk in and hand them $1000 to improve the place. Gifts like that are reserved for friends and family.

Buds sells over 600 guns a day, so I am not the only one that can't get a decent price on anything locally. I usually buy ammo online. I pay considerably less for ammo than walmarts price. I haven't paid over $8 for a box of name brand FMJ 9mm until recently. Plus I usually get free shipping or $10 knocked off the cost of shipping. Walmart hasn't had 9mm for $8 a box in years.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:52 PM   #35

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXLR8 View Post
For credit cards all you need is an iPhone and a free adapter...
https://squareup.com/?gclid=CJf0x4OK1rsCFcZZ7Aod8X4ARg
2.75% per swipe fee
Don't use square as a gun shop, they will freeze you accounts. Very anti gun!

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.