Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Best wholesalers for home based FFL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #21
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2911 Times on 1716 Posts

Sounds like you have a good plan and word of mouth is definitely what will make or break your business. Online advertising etc. Is also a great cheap/free way too really branch out your business.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #22

Liked 359 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Sounds like you have a good plan and word of mouth is definitely what will make or break your business. Online advertising etc. Is also a great cheap/free way too really branch out your business.
Yeah eventually I would like to open up an indoor rifle/pistol range but the start up costs are ridiculous so I figured start small at home test the market, there's minimal capital needed at first, keep my day job and if all goes well expand, if not oh well not too much would be lost.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #23

Liked 84 Times on 65 Posts

i just dont like opening up MY HOME to the general public + providing knowledge of all that "highly theft demanded" stuff advertized.

i sold guns for 25 years out of my home, but never had any inventory.

you tell me what you want, i tell you what it will cost you, if you want me to get it, i get a deposit, order it and call you when it arrives to come pick it up.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762 View Post
i just dont like opening up MY HOME to the general public + providing knowledge of all that "highly theft demanded" stuff advertized.

you tell me what you want, i tell you what it will cost you, if you want me to get it, i get a deposit, order it and call you when it arrives to come pick it up.
Fortunately for me the wife is always home and always armed, but I thought about that as well and even with a safe I know there is the chance of being robbed (which I have taken precautions for) but I was under the impression that you have to have some sort of open to the public based hours. Maybe you are grandfathered in and can do strictly by appointment but for us newbies the ATF doesn't like that from my understanding.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:

Old 04-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #25

Liked 84 Times on 65 Posts

"by appointment only" + after listing your "times open", you can be "closed for vacation", "closed for renovation", etc. whenever

Old 04-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #26

Quote:
"by appointment only" + after listing your "times open", you can be "closed for vacation", "closed for renovation", etc. whenever
Good to know! Thanks!

Member:

Old 04-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #27

Quote:

Should have my ffl in hand next week. I will be home based as well and this is my exact business plan.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is my plan as well. I have the business started just need to send in FFL application. I wouldn't keep any inventory but order as needed. Also looking to sell surplus but that would mostly be over the internet.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #29

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That's basically what I do also. The only thing I'm looking at now is occassionally buying a used gun or three if the price is very right and I can turn it around, if I have the extra cash on hand. So far, it is working. I had a guy call me a couple weeks ago wanting to sell an AK pistol. I offered him what I believed the gun worth trade wise and he took it. I had it resold in less than one hour. I just did the same on a Savage 234 .22 rifle. Got it cheap, sold it cheap but at a profit. The trick here is not to get greedy. Get it cheap, or at least very reasonable, and get it turned around.

I'm looking into other avenues also. I'm considering getting into making custom Kydex holsters. There's guys doing this and they claim to be doing ok with it. Considering the popularity of them and the lack of availability for many handguns comercially, this might be a good thing to branch out into. I'm already looking into the avenue actively.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #30

How about wholesalers for old firearms? I have southern ohio but want a back up. Any others who deal with these items?