Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > becoming a ffl dealer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 01:43 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok thanks a lot the the info guys. My plan was to get a locked steel cabinet to keep any guns left with me cuz I'm doin gunsmithing too. Safe right now would be too expensive. But definitely will get once business picks up.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:09 AM   #12
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113
They don't care as long as they are "secured", technically a trigger lock on each would meet that requirement. Also if you think you are going to drop ship guns, forget about it. One distributor will do that for home based FFLs but it's not cost effective and you will not be able to compete. If you are selling online be prepared to have it stocked or shipped to you and then shipped to your customer's FFL.
Listen closely to this advice. When I had my FFL, wholesalers would encourage you to advertise guns you didn't have in stock because "they always have them in.". However, the instant you order one to fill an order, they are out or on backorder. It also makes you look foolish when someone calls with a question and you don't have the firearm to examine.

If you need inventory, talk to gun stores, people at ranges and others to see if you can sell on consignment for them. Not much profit, but it is free inventory and draws customers in!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-30-2012, 04:37 AM   #13

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I had a home based FFL for over 15 years. I never had an inpection other than day one, all they wanted to see was a safe. In 96 I renewed my FFL. My renewal was denied because I didn't have a store front. No one came to inspect nor was I given warning. If they had given me 90 days to comply I could have found a store front. I went to my banker to see what options I had for financing. He said since my renewal was denied no bank in town would touch me.

I would find a warehouse or something you can call a store front so you don't get put out of business in the blink of an eye.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-06-2012, 02:56 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have an existing business operating as an "S" corporation. We operate out of our warehouse in a commercial zone. The building has a security system and a safe. this should satisfy my "storefront" requirements to get an FFL, right?

Last edited by Byrdguy; 10-06-2012 at 02:57 AM. Reason: add info

Old 10-06-2012, 04:50 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdguy View Post
this should satisfy my "storefront" requirements to get an FFL, right?
Unless you have a local law saying otherwise, there is no "storefront" requirement to get a FFL.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #16

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdguy View Post
I have an existing business operating as an "S" corporation. We operate out of our warehouse in a commercial zone. The building has a security system and a safe. this should satisfy my "storefront" requirements to get an FFL, right?
I was reading an article about the assault weapons ban. Lots of home FFL's got shut down during that time. Apparently if you were to successful your home FFL was shut down. I could re-apply now and get an FFL. Right now things are so unstable in the firearms business I have no desire to start over. The days of getting cases of SKS's so cheap you could sell them for $50 each and make a decent profit are gone.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/