Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   becoming a ffl dealer (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/becoming-ffl-dealer-71845/)

hoyte 09-05-2012 04:43 AM

becoming a ffl dealer

Hi I'm new to the forum. I'm in the process of getn my ffl. Just would like to know pols advice and experience on what to do. I have applied for fictitious name set up a website and applied for business license. Already send my app to the atf and seen they collected their $ from my account. Now just waiting for approval. Any input would be nice.

danf_fl 09-05-2012 09:14 AM

Of course, you have the business license and zoning cleared.

c3shooter 09-05-2012 12:16 PM

As Dan said- in order for the ATF to issue on 01 FFL, you MUST be in compliance with all state and local laws. That DOES mean having a business license, and meeting zoning requirements.

For anyone starting ANY business, would look very hard at setting up a corporation. Not THAT hard to do, and not that expensive, but serves to shield your personal assets from claims of liability. One lawsuit, you are living in someone else's house, driving someone else's car.

Do not know your background, but if you have not run a business before, get your butt down to the local community college, and get signed up for some BUSINESS classes. Knowing guns is great- knowing BUSINESS will keep you in business.

hoyte 09-05-2012 05:31 PM

Yes I have zoning approval. And there is a ffl dealer a few block from me. This will be house ran and mostly internet sales. But some face to face sales.
I just applied for a sales tax license was told I need that to do sales. But I'm doing a slow proprietor and LLC. I'm getting help from family as far as the business end but taking classes wouldn't be a bad idea.
I just worried about the atf saying no. But I see no reason as to why they would. But thanks for the input fellas.

rhyno13 09-05-2012 09:23 PM

The ATF does not like to give FFL's to home home based business's. Remember when you have a home based FFL business, your subject to full inspection by the ATF at any time.

mountainman13 09-05-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhyno13
The ATF does not like to give FFL's to home home based business's. Remember when you have a home based FFL business, your subject to full inspection by the ATF at any time.

During business hours with 24 hour notice. Make sure you give them set business hours or you are open to inspection any time.

silverado113 09-05-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhyno13 (Post 929464)

B FREAKING S! I'm a home based FFL and they have no problem with it as long as you meet zoning requirements. Oh and your home is not subject to inspection just your place of business!

hoyte 09-06-2012 12:30 AM

I did give business hrs and 2 block from me there's a home based business. From my understanding as long as u meeting zoning and state your fine.
My only question is if I'm not stocking them in my house, just doin a online store and maybe ordering for friends and referrals until I get a store front is it required to have a safe. If so what kind

LibertyGunworks 09-06-2012 01:12 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but "secure storage" is just restricting access to the guns, closest/room with a lock on the door, cable ran through trigger guards and locked to something (I'm doing a wall rack with eye bolts in the wall), trigger locks etc. A safe is a good idea and I would certainly pick one up once you start making money and stocking more than a couple guns.

silverado113 09-06-2012 01:13 AM

They don't care as long as they are "secured", technically a trigger lock on each would meet that requirement. Also if you think you are going to drop ship guns, forget about it. One distributor will do that for home based FFLs but it's not cost effective and you will not be able to compete. If you are selling online be prepared to have it stocked or shipped to you and then shipped to your customer's FFL.