Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > barrel length and full auto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default barrel length and full auto

If I get my art class 3 will I be able to purchase short barrels and full auto rifles?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I believe you can purchase short barrels with a tax stamp, same as you can a suppressor.

C3 knows all about this stuff, I'll bet he'll come in shortly with some accurate info for you.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #3

I am told in NJ suppressors are illegal. Even with class III tax stamp

Old 02-02-2012, 03:15 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8641 Times on 3743 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Greg- unless you are a dealer, YOU do not get a "class III license". To purchase a full auto, Short barreled rifle, or suppressor, you have it transferred through a Dealer in your home state that has the appropriate licenses. The transfer of ownership of THAT item is registered to you with the BATFE, and you pay the one time transfer tax on it.

In order to have it transferred to you, it must be legal in your state of residence. Some states do not permit full autos, suppressors, etc. New Jersey does not permit ownership of a suppressor.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-02-2012, 03:26 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You also may need approval from the chief LEO in your jurisdiction unless you do it through a gun trust.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:31 AM   #6

Liked 225 Times on 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Greg- unless you are a dealer, YOU do not get a "class III license". To purchase a full auto, Short barreled rifle, or suppressor, you have it transferred through a Dealer in your home state that has the appropriate licenses. The transfer of ownership of THAT item is registered to you with the BATFE, and you pay the one time transfer tax on it.

In order to have it transferred to you, it must be legal in your state of residence. Some states do not permit full autos, suppressors, etc. New Jersey does not permit ownership of a suppressor.
So is ownership of a full auto just like getting a sbr or suppressor? Same $200 tax stamp except you have to have a class 3 to transfer it to you?

Old 02-02-2012, 05:21 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2689 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGULON View Post
If I get my art class 3 will I be able to purchase short barrels and full auto rifles?
Completing art class #III does not have anything to do with firearms ownership. JK. Presumably you mean a class III FFL. This is unessary for NFA item ownership. All NFA firearms are transferrable to an individual with the appropriate tax paid. Post 86 machineguns excepted. Many people confuse tax stamps with Class III licensure.

The full auto status trumps all other features. If you had, for instance, an M-16 A1, you could legally install a sub 16" barrel. It does not work the other way around. You cannot convert an SBR to full auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
So is ownership of a full auto just like getting a sbr or suppressor? Same $200 tax stamp except you have to have a class 3 to transfer it to you?
In essence this is true.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-02-2012, 05:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm

In essence this is true.

Let me guess,its a lot harder to sneak a machinegun through some atfs agents stack of paperwork when the reason for purchase is just for "schitsngiggles" than It would be to get a sbr or suppressor for the same reason.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8641 Times on 3743 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Why would you think there is a "reason for purchase" on the transfer form?

I fear you may find that the price for a legal full auto that can be transferred to a private citizen may be breathtaking, tho. Since there is a finite supply of these (no new full autos) the price went through the roof. A legal M16 is around $16,000.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-02-2012, 05:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Why would you think there is a "reason for purchase" on the transfer form?

I fear you may find that the price for a legal full auto that can be transferred to a private citizen may be breathtaking, tho. Since there is a finite supply of these (no new full autos) the price went through the roof. A legal M16 is around $16,000.
I assumed there would be a reason for purchase on the tax stamp application,I've heard about the details you have to put about the specific gun. Ex) intended caliber on a SBR. And that they were getting a lot more stringent with the answers,like that the answer "multi-caliber" to that example question when SBRing a AR Lower would no longer fly with the atf anymore. That you actually had to list all calibers of the uppers you planned on using with it.
That just led me to assume that they would ask what you wanted to use your new found sbr for.

And I know that just a plain Jane full auto AR or AK costs as much as a nice car due to the machinegun registry being closed. But hey.... a kid can dream right?